Long time lab partner - 1st time caller

Thread: Long time lab partner - 1st time caller

flatasapnck is offline Junior Member

DefaultLong time lab partner - 1st time caller

I am looking forward to sharing on this Forum and will copy this into the Senior Lab area also. You see it's been a rough week. After 17 months of fighting Type 2 lymphoma we let our golden go back and run in the breezes above this last Monday. A lot of tears from an old hunting partner here.
    Now it's my 14 year old lab! She's a trooper and an athlete her whole life. But I now face another decision. My wife and I agree we would never put our girls quality of life after our desire to not lose them. We didn't with Hannah and we won't with Maggie.
    A little background - Maggie has fishing line in both rear knees to replace ligaments (at 3 years). Arthritis is almost debilitating in shoulders and spine. I have to lift her from sitting or laying and she poops 90% of the time while laying down and doesn't know it but never ever urinates inside. Pads are regular purchases.
    She is so stoic, I don't think I'll ever know how much she hurts. I also know no one can give a quick answer, but this decision is hurting. Our vet is wonderful and knows she's close and has already had one mini seizure. Must I wait for a major seizure? Having held 4 dogs as they were given peace isn't helping me. Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

My heart is breaking for you...my Casey was almost 14 when we let her go. It was by far the saddest day of my life. Casey was deaf and blind...and in her last few days we had to lift her up to go to the bathroom, I tried to hold on a littlle longer, then she suffered a seizure and I could not let her go on anymore. Listen to your heart, it will tell you what to do. I wish I had the answer for you, I know how painful this decision is. Whatever you decide, know your girl trust and loves you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Sorry for your loss I agree with you. Do what is best for the dog. I know it hurts but thank of her first. I never thought I would move on after the death of my lab Abby but then i got Tank SO good things sometimes do come out of it. You just got to remeber if you do let her go she will be with other wonderful dogs and with her friend and they get to pee on or by as many fire hydrants as they want
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

Im so glad your with us but im so sorry to hear this its never easy.

bett is offline Senior Member

so sad. my heart hurts for you and your family, as well as maggie.
    it's never easy.i know you will do what's right and at the right time.