Hello from Canada

Thread: Hello from Canada

Conan is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from Canada

Greetings,

I am new to this site, wanted to say hi and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this breeder:

Élevage du Labrador Retriever [ Chenil de la Rivière Blanche ]

I'm sorry, it's in Québec, Canada and the site is only in French.

Cheers,

Conan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

hi

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I don't know of them, but it looks like a proper breeding establishment. They do have a lot of dogs, and the des Chiots avancés à vendre (pups sold) are several years old, so I'm not sure if they have any for sale now.

My French isn't the best, so I used GoogleTranslate, which gives some humorous translations.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

hi!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Conan, post your question in Lab Chat, you'll get way more responses.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome! are you commited to this breeder or are you looking for feedback before deciidng?

A good/ethical breeder should do the following:
    ensure both parents are cleared of the following thru testing (this is not done by a vet visit): hips and elbows (thru x-rays sent to OFA or OVC), eyes, heart. Also ask about EIC (exercise indicued collapse) and CMN (forget what that means!). These are issues that plague the breed and there are test that can ensure parents are cleared (not carriers). Discuss all of these with the breeder. IF they say "our lines have no issues with XXX so we don't test" that is a bad sign.
    They should also compete in some venue with their dogs (both parents should compete in some venue) to prove they are worthy of breeding. there are TONS of great pet labradors out there, they should not all be bred. They should compete in conformation, field or hunt tests.

From the looks of it they are only doing hips (and thought is says she passed her hips, the mom of the upcoming litter RIVEBLANCHE CARBONNE 2E I can't find in OFA).

And NONE of their dogs are titled. And they only seem to breed to their own dogs (the "right" match for most dogs is very rarely the dog in teh same house)

just my two cents
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

also - if I am reading correctly, the price varies by color - that irks me. the same work and love went into all the puppies and they all have the same genes, so why should one be "worth" more because of the color of their fur?

Conan is offline Junior Member

Thank you Tanya. That's lots of points to take into account.

In terms of OFA, I did look on the OFA website and found "Carbonne Z" which I am not sure if it's the same as "Carbonne 2E". Anyways, I'll ask the breeder.

I am not sure what you mean by "titled" dogs, but they do compete because I've had breeders of other dog breeds that have told me that his labs always win the shows... that's actually how I found him, the other breeders told me he was the place to go for labs, from what they had seen in shows.

And I've read almost all the pages of that site and I did not see that the color affects price? maybe it's just me. I thought it was a flat 900$.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Compete in what? I guess it is possible they simply never list the titles on the webiste. Most show results are published so I googled some of the dog names and found no listings of winnings/placing. Even in the descriptions of the dogs there is not talk of how they perform (other than as good pets)

Titles means they compete in conformation and have at least a CH (or higher) - this should be indicated at the front of the dog's name. They do not look bench bred (conformation look) however.
    It could mean field or hunt titles (which are usually listed at the end of the name). Field titles (FC, NFC, etc.)or hunt titles (JH, SH and MH)

I would definately ask about all the other testing that must be one (not JUST hips)

On a seperate note, ask where litters are raised, I much prefer breeders that have pups in the house where they are socialized from day 1 (no matter how nice and well maintained a kennel outside may be!)

I may just have misunderstood their note here (maybe the price difference is between started dogs and puppies - which is very normal)
    Chiots labradors retrievers [ Chocolat, Jaune, Noir, Red Fox ]