Just signed up today; new Puppy in the House!

Thread: Just signed up today; new Puppy in the House!

emmvette is offline Junior Member

DefaultJust signed up today; new Puppy in the House!

Hi everybody,

I found the forum yesterday after getting a new 3 month old puppy this weekend and wanting to learn about labs and what to expect regarding poddie training. Lots of great info hear. I'm looking forward to wondering around the site and learning a bunch.

We had a yellow lab before, but got him when he was an adult and had already be very well trained, so all of this will be new to me. We have 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, and now 1 puppie.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well he has behaved with the cats. They are mostly outside, and he will walk up to them, plop down a few feet away, so they aren't scared, then jump up and try to play. They aren't sure what to think of him yet, but at least they feel semi-safe!

He is a very loving and sweet dog. I hope we can provide him with a good home; and I hope his pottie training goes quickly so we can minimize the accidents in the house. It is hard to watch him every second, and he doesn't provide much, if any, warning yet...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome.

what is your current house training (potty training) plan?

The best way to house train a dog is to have them under direct supervision at all times, and take them often outside. Reward BIG TIME when they go outside (treats, praise, you name it). Make sure they DO GO when they are outside (never assume a puppy has gone just becuase they were outside). Crate when you cannot directly supervise (in a crate just big enough for them to turn around). They have super small bladders and very little control so go outside with them often (and your best bet is to take him outside on leash so he doesn't get too distracted). Go outside when they wake up, after a play, before a play, after eating, etc. etc. etc. Depending on the dog he may still need to go outside in the middle fo the night as well (he may not yet be able to hold it in all night).

If you are gone for more than 5 hours at a time and cannot have someone (neighbour, dog walker, friend) take him outside to pee you will have to leave him abit more room in the crate as he likely won't be able to hold it in much longer than that during the day (the exact amount of time varies depending on teh individual dog). This WILL delay house training as they learn to potty in the crate but is very doable.

How quickly teh process goes will depend on the dog, and what he has learned before coming to your house (i.e. was he allowed to pee where he lived before coming to you house - if so this will likely mean it will take longer).

Good luck!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Snuffyj is offline Junior Member

Congrats on the new puppy! We have a 6-month-old black lab and a 9-year-old yellow and they both love our two cats! They will quickly establish who is the boss of the house (usually the cats) and everyone will get along fine. I agree, the quickest way to potty train is with a crate, supervision, and a strict schedule. We had our new black lab trained in a weekend using the crate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on the new puppy and welcome to the board!!

Take LOTS of pictures (then post them here!) because lab puppies grow FAST and before you know it you'll have a BIG dog!!
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.

bett is offline Senior Member

hi.
    congrats.
    get some books.
    and a crate.

emmvette is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! Yes, we have a crate, it is a little big I think, but we'll try to squish some extra towels in one end to make it smaller. Sounds like we're on the right track, after a few accidents the first two days, we did some research and are doing as suggested above with absolute supervision, lots of pottie breaks, exercise, and we are trying to keep a fairly consistent schedule. Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to reading more on the forum. He is a lot of fun and extremely loving!

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! We like pictures! Like others have said they grow fast so take lots of pictures!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.