Two Labs/ Two Thousand miles

Thread: Two Labs/ Two Thousand miles

Lab Lady is offline Junior Member

DefaultTwo Labs/ Two Thousand miles

Hello, we are the proud parents of two beautiful yellow labs and I am in need of some advice.
    We will be moving from Phoenix Arizona to a 35 acre farm in West Virgina. My husband and son will be driving our Sunny Boy and Sally Girl across the country. It is a 30 hour trip and I am sure will be full of surprises.
    I was wondering if anyone else has relocated their best friends to another home, and some things we can possibly expect.
    We have had Sunny since puppyhood, and he will be 4 in June. Sally Girl we rescued last April and she is about 2.5

I am unsure as to the process of uploading pictures, and need to get back to packing, so I will try again soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I have moved dogs and i rescue so some things to expect is skittishness. They will be unsure of their surroundings and will want to be by you at all times! They may not also eat for a couple days due to stress. With pictures do you have a photobucket? If so copy the url image and then paste in your post
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Thank You very much. This information is good to know. They are used to being in a walled in 1/2 acre lot and going to an unfenced 35 acres will be a challenge. We will certainly watch out for these signs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

When I took Mya with me out to PA, it was her first trip ever. I made sure to let her out and exercised her. Once she proved to me she was okay with travel and relaxed I was able to relax more. I made sure to have a fresh bone and/or frozen kong along also. Take whatever water they are used to along also. I also was prepared for motion sickness
    She ended up being a GREAT traveler. I'm sure yours will be too.
    Have you taken them on any other trips even short ones?
    As far as 35 acres, I can only tell you that I would keep them leashed for a good while and all depending on their recall as to when and it they would be outside without a leash.
    Last edited by Mary Jane; 04-01-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: speeling lol!

How good is their recall? If not would buy a long leash. In Arizona they do have poisonous snakes(I'm pretty sure you knew but o well) so watch were they go so nothing happens to them.

They have very good recall, and they hardly ever leave our sides. Of course, that is here in Phoenix, not on a farm with a pond, ducks, deer and turkeys! Also, Sunny has been on short trips with us, but Sally just a few. I am going to pack some of their toys and a bone is a great idea. We are thinking of putting up a fence in the backyard with a dog door into the house, for when we have to leave for work. I think that will rest my mind some. Once we are settled, I think they would much rather be on a horse farm, instead of inside block walls. Thanks so much for all your input, now if I could just teach them not to jump on the fam!

Tell them off when they jumps. Before people pet them make sure they are in a sit and then the get petted Good luck and congrats on your new home in sun city

Nelson & Pearl is offline Junior Member

I moved my two from Florida to Virginia 2 years ago. My guys LOVE to travel. I take them back and forth to Florida all of the time. They mostly sleep. Nelson is 5 and Pearl is 3. I usually only stop twice... but they do get lots of treats on the way. I also take bully sticks, which will keep them occupied for about 45 minutes in the middle of the day. I will suggest that instead of stopping at rest areas try to stop at hotels. I am a single girl traveling and feel much safer when doing this... also, there are not quite as many unknown smells. They are very easily distracted by all of the other dog waste at the rest area which makes the stop longer than it needs to be. Good luck and they'll do great. I would also recommend that if you need a dog-friendly hotel, try La Quinta. They are usually very pet-friendly and have always put me on the ground floor.