hiya all
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hiya all

nms1973 is offline Member

Defaulthiya all

hiya , Im nicky and looking to rehome a golden lab bitch this weekend, aged 24 months old . Any help and advice much appreciated , thank you x
    oh sorry I meant I am getting the dog this weekend from a couple who are rehoming her , they are having a newborn baby so looking for a new home for her, I have had experience in the past and wanted to rehome a bitch lab instead of a puppy, sorry didnt intro properly.
    We are a family with 2 teenage kids and live in a rural area and are going to get a lovely golden lab pedigree aged 24 months old with papers bitch this weekend and hope she loves us as her new family
    Last edited by nms1973; 03-16-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: messed up my intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Random Gemini is offline Senior Member

Contact a local Lab rescue and surrender your dog to them. Rehoming the dog yourself will just end up with someone rehoming her again.

Your dog is best off being placed in a new home through a rescue.

oh sorry I meant I am getting the dog this weekend from a couple who are rehoming her , they are having a newborn baby so looking for a new home for her, I have had experience in the past and wanted to rehome a bitch lab instead of a puppy, sorry didnt intro properly.
    We are a family with 2 teenage kids and live in a rural area and are going to get a lovely golden lab pedigree aged 24 months old with papers bitch this weekend and hope she loves us as her new family

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

have you contacted local rescues?
    why are you looking to rehome?

any help and advice on my new dog much appreciated please x

Ah okay. In that case, CONGRATS! And first... Labs come in three colors, black, yellow and chocolate. Pedigreed dogs are not "golden" unless they are golden retriever mixes, then they're not pedigreed.

Second, go to dog training classes with your new dog.

Third, great book for you. You are basically adopting this dog from a rescue situation and dogs get REALLY freaked out sometimes when they are rehomed. You can download this book from amazon.com for Kindle or order a hard copy it's called "Don't Dump the Dog" by Randy Grim. Lots of useful training techniques for dealing with common training problems seen in rehomed dogs... and it's really hilarious too.

Hope this helps, welcome aboard.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nms1973 View Post
    any help and advice on my new dog much appreciated please x
    What type of advice are you looking for exactly? Training? Getting her comfortable in her new home? It would be easier to offer adivce and suggestions if you give us more information on what you want help on.

Welcome to the board.

And, you may not really care, but just in case, the proper terminology (just in case you care) is yellow labrador retrivers. The breed is labrador retriever and they come in three colors, yellow, chocolate or black. (yellow can range from almost white to dark yellow which is called fox red)

ETA: oops - posted at the same time as the above post! LOL
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-16-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    What type of advice are you looking for exactly? Training? Getting her comfortable in her new home? It would be easier to offer adivce and suggestions if you give us more information on what you want help on.

Welcome to the board.

And, you may not really care, but just in case, the proper terminology (just in case you care) is yellow labrador retrivers. The breed is labrador retriever and they come in three colors, yellow, chocolate or black. (yellow can range from almost white to dark yellow which is called fox red)

ETA: oops - posted at the same time as the above post! LOL
    Hey, great minds think alike!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Random Gemini View Post
    Hey, great minds think alike!
    That they do !

I agree with the training class, I actually even started a round with my current foster the second day I had him! (mostly because I am new to puppies). But I recommend to all adopters (highly recommend) taking a class with a dog EVEN if the dog knows the basics (I did this for Rocky, and we haven't stopped training since). It helps bodn with the dog.

If you want advice for bringing in a new dog:
    - try to get them the same dog food they were on if at all possible, at least for a little while, if you dislike the food you can change it later
    - give them space. they may be super cuddly but they may need their space. Do encourage them to come to you and pet them/show affection. But also allow them space if they so choose.
    - watch for accidents, new house, new rules, even a very well house trained dog will often have an accident or two the first week.
    - they may be stressed at first, this is normal. They may pant, pace, be restless. it usually takes a few days (sometimes longer) for that to go away.
    - I like to go for a good walk when I first get a foster
    - if your property isn't fully fenced, do not leave the dog loose when you first get them. Train them to come back when called (this takes time and work) using a long line. Dogs are not inately born knowing that when a human says "this" they must come to the human. ESPECIALLY when you do not yet have a bond. Having said this, sometimes the first few days they won'T leave your side - but do NOT be fooled, they will eventually become comfortable and more bold, you MUST work on recall.
    - set the house rules from day 1 - do not start allowing things out of pity for the dog's confusion that you will want to stop at a later time. start right away
    - bring the dog to your vet as soon as you can, even if she is fully up to date on everything. it is good to meet your vet when there is no problem. especially if you do not currently have a vet. Plus it is good for dogs to see the vet when they are healthy so they associate to good things
    - don't forget a tired lab is a good lab, so be sure to include alot of physical exercise in your routine. You may want to start slow depending on what they were used to and increase abit.

Is the dog spayed? If not, do you intend to have her spayed?
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-16-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the board.

Ask us your specific questions on the new dog and we'd be happy to assist you.

Good for you for taking in this dog and giving her a new loving home. Can't wait to see pictures of her. :-)
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast