New to the website with a 14 week old black lab- HELP

Thread: New to the website with a 14 week old black lab- HELP

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew to the website with a 14 week old black lab- HELP

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to Formally introduce myself and my pup. My name is Rachel and my Boyfriend's name is Keith. I've been nagging him for a puppy for about 6 months. one of rmy Christmas presents was to pick out a puppy of my choice. We got our puppy at 12 weeks and named him Avery. (after a NY Ranger player- Sean Avery)
    He's such a smart little guy! We attempted to crate train him at night, he cried for the 1st 3 nights. Sleeping on the floor next to him was not fun, haha but he finally got over it. He loves his crate/bed.
    Now he's on his 3rd week of puppy school. He knows sit, watch me and paw. He doesnt get the lay down yet. He is quite the biter- posted something on that earlier today. I'm going to look into the biter spray however i might have to bathe in it so he wont bite me. HA HA he has found my closet full of shoes and only tends to go for my expensive Nine West shoe that looks like a snake. (ruined them while I was doing my makeup one morning.) It's hard to get mad at them b/c they're so cute.
    Any advice on biting- teething toys would be helpful. Thanks and look forward to talking to you all soon.

Rachel

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the world of puppies!! Congrats on the crate training, it's the safest place for the little guy when you can not watch him. Also it's really great that he is in puppy school, lay down can be a tough one...it was for my Lola. I had to put my shoes in a large storage container with a snap lock lid, Lola never chewed anything and then one day at about 1 year old she went in my closet and chewed 4 pairs of shoes they also tipped over my jewelery box and ate stack diamond rings that my husband bought me for Christmas a few years ago....but that is me and my dogs secret God made them cute for a reason.

Nylabones ( the hard plastic ones) are great for teething and safe. As far as the nipping, try redirecting your pup with a toy or even a loud ouch might work. When all else fails and your pup gets out of control a short time out in his crate will help, but don't scold him when you put him there. You never want the crate to be associated with punishment...just quietly pick him up and put him in. My Gracie was a terribly mouthy puppy up until almost a year old, she still gets a little mouthy when she is excited. Lola was not nippy or mouthy at all, she was a pretty easy pup. Good luck and post lots of pics

Lisa
    Last edited by lisa; 02-07-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Defaultmore questions

Thanks Lisa!!

I gave him the nylabone for puppies- chicken flavor. He ate almost the whole thing. ARe they edible?!!! I just read they're not.

when we take him out to go potty he loves to eat snow/ice. which is fine but now he's attempting to eat leaves, sticks and chewing bark that's fallen from out pine tree. I try to get it out of his mouth. If he eats some of that is it bad?

I went home at lunch today and he was more interested in learning and watching me then playing. (soooo not normal)

It's also kind of gross but we usually lock the bedroom door but when I got in to change before work he follows me in and grabs my panties/bra out of the basket!!!

He also goes Nuts after he does #2.... is that normal. It's like he poops out the angel and demon set's in. He blitzes and then jumps and bites us. should we be putting him in his crate?? The trainer said that he does it as a sense of accomplishment like yay I pooped!!! however he goes bonkers. Is that normal?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am sorry if I come across as laughing at you. We have all been through it. Chewing on things he is not supposed to chew on. The crate is one important solution to that problem. The rest of this training is up to him. It depends on how much time he wants to put in to training, and then how effective he is. I am sure that he will accomplish his goals though. They do have a way of training their owners to close closet doors, not leave shoes laying around, putting food away, or way out of reach and scent. Scent makes any distance irrelevant. How soon he succeeds in training you will probably depend on how much money you have to replace shoes, sofas, other clothing, furniture, baseboard molding, sheetrock,etc. <g>
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpost7786 View Post
    Thanks Lisa!!

I gave him the nylabone for puppies- chicken flavor. He ate almost the whole thing. ARe they edible?!!! I just read they're not.

when we take him out to go potty he loves to eat snow/ice. which is fine but now he's attempting to eat leaves, sticks and chewing bark that's fallen from out pine tree. I try to get it out of his mouth. If he eats some of that is it bad?

I went home at lunch today and he was more interested in learning and watching me then playing. (soooo not normal)

It's also kind of gross but we usually lock the bedroom door but when I got in to change before work he follows me in and grabs my panties/bra out of the basket!!!

He also goes Nuts after he does #2.... is that normal. It's like he poops out the angel and demon set's in. He blitzes and then jumps and bites us. should we be putting him in his crate?? The trainer said that he does it as a sense of accomplishment like yay I pooped!!! however he goes bonkers. Is that normal?
    ^^^^
    My Gracie goes nuts after she poops...does the whole but tucking thing and she is over 2 years old!!! My Lola loves socks more than anything, thank God she doesn't eat them, she just likes carrying them around.

honeys dad is offline Senior Member

Cmon, you name your puppy after Sean Avery, and then act surprised when he behaves like....Sean Avery! Hang in there, unlike his namesake, the puppy will eventually learn. When you crate him, make sure to distinguish between minor penalties and game misconducts.
    Good Luck...

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

My girl Lita LOVES my underwear and my DH's socks. She will also try to grab them out of the hamper and just licks 'em. I hear you on the being gross part. The socks, not really, but the panties?! Ugh! Thank God that Dio has zero interest in anything that is not "his", like toys and treats.

As for the butt tucking after a poop, Dio does that. It's like a huge relief for him to have gone and he just has to whoop it up!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Hey Rachel! Nice to hear from you! I nagged my husband for like 2 years and finally we got our little lab pup in July! Soooooo much fun. Avery sounds like a cutie pie, and similar experience to ours. RE; the shoes - its funny b/c Malone hasn't ruined any of our shoes, but that's because I don't own any good quality shoes or REAL leather! ha ha.

Malone took some time to learn the down command, but now he does it ALL the time when he wants something. It helps to sit down, and Bend one knee. Lure puppy under the bent knee, so that he HAS to go into a down to get under your leg. As soon as he is in down position, hit the clicker (or whatever method you're using) and say Down! It's amazing how smart they are! He'll get it soon.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by honeys dad View Post
    Cmon, you name your puppy after Sean Avery, and then act surprised when he behaves like....Sean Avery! Hang in there, unlike his namesake, the puppy will eventually learn. When you crate him, make sure to distinguish between minor penalties and game misconducts.
    Good Luck...
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Totally!!

That was Daddy's idea to name him that!! He does act like Sean Avery- haha He actually watches the game with my bf as he drinks Guiness. Quite comical. I'm waiting for the day when Keith is yelling at the tv and Avery starts barking!!! I think i'd roll on the floor laughing.

Keith went to a Rangers game recently and wore the jersey, when he came home he put it in the hamper. Avery went right over to it and dragged it into the living room. I giggled and said yes Avery that is you however you can't play with this. Puppies are funny!!!