Hello from Texas!

Thread: Hello from Texas!

DefaultHello from Texas!

Hello everyone. My name is Sarah, and my family and I just adopted a black lab (Raven) from a local shelter. I don't think she's pure, but I really don't know. She has a white chest, and I didn't know if that was any indication of being a mix or not?? Anyway, I don't know much about Labs, except that I like the breed. We also have a Chihuahua/Dacshund mix and a Basenji. We are having troubles with the Basenji welcoming Raven into our home. We are thinking of rehoming the Basenji through BRAT. I realize some people may not agree with that decision because our Basenji was in our home first (I caught heck for it at the Basenji forums!). However, Raven is a better fit for our home; she plays with the kids and is a great guard dog which we need because of the neighbors we have. Anyway, Raven was an owner surrender and she's 2 years old. We just love her and I want to learn as much about the breed as possible!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome. I had trouble with Heidi excepting the boys at first also, but they have adjusted well. You might ask around, there are lots of folks here who have experience with that sort of thing, maybe you can get some advise that will help them adjust & then they can both stay

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

Thank you very much for your reply. I really got flamed at the other board. I would very much like to keep both dogs. For now, I'm going to keep them separated when the kids are around and never allow them to be together in the house. They NEVER fight when they are in the backyard together and actually play a lot. I think our Basenji, Lady, is jealous of the attention we give Raven. I would love for some advice on helping dogs to get a long. They aren't at each other's throats constantly and actually play games like fetch and tug-of-war together, so I hope that's encouraging.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Suggest you post in lab chat as you will get many more responses. sorry no advice here.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Welcome from PA! I hope everything works out for your two. It would be a shame to have to rehome somebody.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. I also agree to repost your problems in Lab Chat. Alot of people definitely have lots of advice that may help you out
    cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia