Future Lab owner from Alberta

Thread: Future Lab owner from Alberta

Canucks08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultFuture Lab owner from Alberta

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to get a lab for a long time now, but have held off because of my schooling and work schedule. But now i'm done school, and my work schedule is pretty predictable. So now I have been really looking around for a lab. Perferably I want a black female. There are lots of breeders I have seen but i'm not sure how to choose.

Should I go with a CKC registered pup? I know labs have hip, eye, and elbow problems later on in there life, And I just want to know if I should fork out the $1000 for a purebred pup, or is it ok to buy a $200 lab that are being sold pretty much everywhere. I'd just like some input on what you guys have to say about choosing a breeder. I want to make sure the girl I choose is healthy and around for a long long time.

Thanks guys!

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Hm. I'm sure you will get plenty of varying responses here. PERSONALLY imo like you said - if you want the girl you choose to be healthy and around a long time - you should consider a breeder.

for our first dog AND lab, we decided to go with a breeder. the breeder is just outside our city (s*toon) and they guarantee hips, eyes and elbows for 30 months. not only that but by purchasing our lab through a recognized breeder, we are supporting a wonderful system that works (sorry i can't word this properly! !ha ha too tired)

Buying a backyard breeder's dog can sometimes work, but I guess it depends what you want in the long run.

I know that a couple from calg*ary actually got a lab from Malone's litter, they came all the way for him/her. So, if you DO consider going out of province, message me!!

At any rate, you will LOVE being a dog AND lab owner. It's been AMAZINGLY fun

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks08 View Post

Should I go with a CKC registered pup? I know labs have hip, eye, and elbow problems later on in there life, And I just want to know if I should fork out the $1000 for a purebred pup, or is it ok to buy a $200 lab that are being sold pretty much everywhere. I'd just like some input on what you guys have to say about choosing a breeder. I want to make sure the girl I choose is healthy and around for a long long time.

Thanks guys!

Mike
    It's not really a given that your Lab will have the above health issues. Much of what a good breeder does is work to guard against producing hereditary orthopedic issues and other genetic issues by only breeding individuals who are cleared for those things. Registration with CKC just gets you a piece of paper and is not what provides that clearance. Going to a reputable and responsible breeder gives you the best shot at having a dog that will be correct to the breed standard (or close to it), have the proper Lab temperament, and have the best shot at solid health because the parents were selected for soundness. No breeder can guarantee that their puppy will not develop into a dog with issues - that is simply not possible - but responsible breeders work hard to make it much more likely.

I just found out today that my friend with a rescued 1 year old Lab mix puppy has to decide what to do about his already debilitating HD. She has 3 sons in college and simply cannot afford to have the surgery. What money you save by getting a questionably bred puppy can really come back to bite you in the ass when there is a serious genetic issue like my friend's pup has.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the board

CKC is ONLY a registration body, it does not indicate quality or health of a dog.

Personnally I see it as a question of ethics. There are so many dogs out there in need of a home (and dogs being put to sleep in shelters, yes, even in Canada) that I would only buy a puppy from a breeder doing it for the reasons and doing everything they can to ensure the health of the puppies. This means testing hips, elbows, eyes and heart (and look into PRA and EIC) on both parents (ask too see records, these are not cleared thru a vet visit stating that pup is "healthy"). And also who competes with their dog in some venue. There are simply too many dogs in need of a home to support people who just want to either make a buck on their dog by having puppies OR who do love their dog and not care for the money but don't research enough to know how to breed properly.

If the price is too high, go with a rescue. There are terrific dogs in rescues (even labs) in need of a home. Not sure where in alberta you are but there might be a rescue nearby. I adopted my first dog (when I graduated from school) when he was 1.5 from a rescue as I didn't realy want to deal with "puppy" period and wanting a dog that was closer to being old enough to run with me (which is about 2 years of age for labs).

ETA: There are no guaranties in life as far as health. Breeding is not an exact science and not 100% guaranties can be made even with ALL the testing in the world. HOWEVER, going with a breeder does it right (clears dogs prior to breeding and knows the ins and outs of the dogs's ancestors) does but the odds on your side.
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-16-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

links (though I have no idea where in Alberta you are so some of these may be quite far from you....)

Calgary Purebred Labrador Retriever Rescue
    About Us
    Furever After Rescue Society | Calgary, AB
    Alberta Dog Rescue Organizations and Shelters
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Where in Alberta are you? I live in Devon (outside of Edmonton). I got Dio (my black lab) from a breeder in Vegreville. If you want, I can pm you her info. She's also on the CKC website if you want to check her out. If you're from around here, you can also check out SCARS, the rescue where I got Lita. They have lots of dogs up for adoption right now. AARCS in Calgary is also a great rescue society.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Canucks08 is offline Junior Member

I'm in cold lake which is about 2 hours from vegreville

2CrazyDogs is offline Member

Sounds like there were many who already gave you wonderful advice. I just wanted to welcome you!

Angel- Lab/Boxer/Husky
    Demon- Lab/Boxer/GSD
    ~Ashley~

lisa is offline Senior Member

Welcome

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

yeah Big Brown Dog & Tanya put it nicely! No guarantees with anything, but its GREAT that you are researching and figuring out what you want.

my best friend is 2 hours from cold lake

keep us posted!