HELP! Potty training and regressing?

Thread: HELP! Potty training and regressing?

DefaultHELP! Potty training and regressing?

We have a 17 week old black lab! His name is Murry and we got him about 4 weeks ago! He's been wonderful...he definitely likes to chew, but we always stop him and put something like his bone in his mouth to divert his attention! After only 9 days, we were blown away and to our amazement, Murry was doing great with training! He has not had one accident! We were so confident we packed up our shop vac and gave him to benefit of the doubt! He goes right to the door, whimpers, and we take him out. We have tried taking him for a walk, but he freezes up about 3 houses away and we wind up coming back home. We live in Buffalo, NY and the winter has been pretty cold....his feet seem sensitive to this and I don't blame him. The past 4 days he's had more than 2 accidents in the house! He'll lay with us and get up, walk over to his dish...take a drink...walk to the door and pee! I don't understand how this puppy that we had so much faith in is just regressing! The snow has all melted and he seems to enjoy being out for longer amounts of time! So I thought things would get easier the warmer it got....but that doesn't seem to be the case! All I can think of is that those first days he was here, we were home with him AAAAALLLLLL day long! We never left him! As of lately, we're about to remodel our upstairs bathroom and we've spent all day every day shopping and just crating him in the morning, coming home in the afternoon for a few hours to let our 20 month old daughter nap, and then we're out the door again! We felt so guilty leaving him so my husband has stayed in the last 2 days with our daughter and Murry while I ran the errands. But we can't trust him alone. So my hubby is trying to build a work area in the basement and he has to crate Murry otherwise he's all over Eliana (our daughter). I don't know if he's angry that we're leaving him alone and this is his way of letting us know, or if this is normal. I've never owned a Lab before....I always had small dogs! I love him to pieces and he's so loving and cuddly! But this is so confusing! Any input would be completely appreciated!

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP! Potty training and regressing?

how often are you taking him out? at 17 weeks you still need to initiate potty time. You can't just see them get it right once or twice and expect them to grasp it. It takes serious dedication to get them to be reliable at such a young age every time. You should still be taking him out every half hour to an hour on the dot. Set an alarm if you need to. Everytime puppy eats/drinks/wakes up/plays ... puppy is probably going to have to eliminate soon after. Take puppy outside. Pick him up and take him out if you need to.

Would you expect a newly potty trained toddler to understand what they have to do after getting it right the first time? I doubt it. Your puppy is no different.

Also, potty time should be leash and collar on. Outside stand there make no eye contact until puppy pees. When puppy pees big praise and song and dance "yay well done good boy woohoo" the bigger praise the better and a small treat and then back inside. Dont confuse your puppy by walking it up the street when you want it to pee. Walks means sniffing new smells and looking at new things .. the peeing thoughts are pushed to the back of their mind because this walkies business is so interesting.

You need to treat your little guy like the baby he is.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

sarah is offline Senior Member

As for leaving your puppy alone and him being angry about it? Nnooo... your puppy is exploring. Especially leaving a puppy with your daughter unattended .. that is just not a good idea. Puppy and baby need to be supervised. AT all times. The puppy cannot be trusted to play gently... it's a lab puppy! They are exuberant and tough and don't understand gentle play. Nipping and chewing is normal lab puppy behaviour. Your daughter explores with her hands, Murry explores with his mouth.

How long are you crating him unattended for? How much attention and playtime is he getting?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's been a while since we've had the chance to write about this topic again! Thank you so much for all of your advice and concerns! We never leave Murry alone with our toddler...who knows what would happen and we are always including Murry in various kinds of activities! He loves our yard and if it's too cold for myself or the kids to go out and play with him, then we play ball in the house until he's tired out.....at least 2x a day! We however, did figure out the problem. It wasn't him regressing at all! He goes out whenever he seems bored or sitting by the door or just if its been 20-30 minutes since his last potty break. He got to the point where he was peeing while walking and he just couldn't hold it 5 minutes after having him out! He would run out the door and could make it past the cement pad to start peeing! I knew it had to be a UTI! So, we brought him in to the vet to be neutered and I asked the vet to check his urine....sure enough, he had one! After taking the medicine for the week, I still didn't see an improvement however, the walking and peeing at the same time stopped and there weren't sooooo many potty breaks! However, 2 days ago, he jumped on the couch and peed....jumped down and peed all the way to the door! I immediately called the vet in the am, and they determined it was a bladder infection. They said the first round probably didn't clear it up 100% and now it came back with a vengeance! I wonder how long my little bud had this! I know how much pain he was in, and I hope that this round of antibiotics finally work! Poor guy! Being home with him all day helps, so that he has the opportunity to go out as much as he wants! I just don't know if we bought him with this infection and slowly it turned ugly....or if it manifested here! Either way, I'm happy to report he's a lot better! And being babied too! We love him so!