To Register or Not To Register, That is The Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Register or Not To Register, That is The Question

JazzyMatt is offline Junior Member

DefaultTo Register or Not To Register, That is The Question

Hello everyone, I'm new here and such is my first post. First off let me say that you all seem great and helpfull and so far I love the site.
    I have a 12 week old ylw/female named Sadi. I purchased her from a guy a few hours away from me in my home state. When I knew I wanted to purchase a lab registration was the furthest thing on my mind. Sadi's Mother was registered but he was not sure about the father. I assure you the litter is pure bred. When I picked her up he also said that the dad was a field dog and the mom was just his companion, that he took her dove hunting one time and she did several retreives without any previous training. Anyway, Sadi is now 12 weeks old, she was force fetching at 7 weeks (I'm not sure if that's good or bad) today we did some blind retreives for the first time and she did great. I havent even incorporated a whistle in yet(cause I'm not sure when to). Other than some normal puppy behavior and occasional stubborness she's absolutely great. Now, I've owned labs before or I should say my dad did when I was a kid, but my question is should I try to get her registered? I have no plans to have her bred in the future, and I would love to train her for the next level. From what I've read in the forums Hunt test is the next level. Do you have to show papers for that?
    Any help on this is much appreciated
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To Register or Not To Register, That is The Question

If you live in the US, the AKC has a program called ILP or PAL that would suit you just fine as you can then participate in AKC hunt tests, obed trials, etc. Dog must appear to be a purebred, but neutered. Chances are, if the guy you bought her from didn't "know" if dad was reg'd, he wasn't and will never be. And then the litter would have to reg'd, etc,--- all that is at a cost to the breeder so I'd not hold my hopes up.

As for your other comments, I'm sure you are misunderstanding terminology re: Force fetch, blinds, etc., unless you have one little super puppy there. Most of us won't think of starting FF,etc until after a solid obed foundation is established. A good book on the subject is Evan Graham's SmartFetch. Good luck w/ your pup! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

To register a non papered pure breed dog at AKC you just need to send in a spay/neuter certificate $35 and a few photos of your dog. Here is the link to the AKC website info
    https://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm
    You can also register your lab with UKC (they have a bunch of hunt tests in the south). Again all you need is a vets spay certificate and pics and I think only $30, here is the link for them
    http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/W...imitePrivilege

You cannot enter a hunt test with a dog that is younger than 6 months old. Its generally considered better for Performance dogs to wait till theyu have stopped growing (about 16-22 months old) before spaying/neutering them. Spayed/Neutered dogs tend to grow taller than those that are left intact and this can cause some joint and leg bone problems, but there are many dogs that have been altered early without any problems, so if you can keep your female from being breed then it might be a good idea to wait to register and just focus on training and having fun. If you can't keep your eye on her 100% of the time and keep her inside and supervised all the time then you might want to spay before she comes into her 1st heat.

Kelly
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JazzyMatt is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for the info. I did plan on having her spayed when she became of age.
    I may be a little confused on terminology but not so much as the age she started doing things, I have no idea why I said 7 weeks on the ff, I guess cause it was late and I was at work, anyway, at 8 weeks she was sitting well on voice and hand signal's, I would have her stay occasionally from sit and down posistion(I still have trouble with down. The very next week I found a tennis ball that would fit her mouth and threw it for her out side about 10-15 yards away. I then immediatly told her a stern stay holding my palm out to where she could see it. I could see here anxioty so sent her "go fetch" she brought it back to me as I held my hand out to her palm out, I almost had to wrestle with it but gave a stern out and she released it. After doing that all week I decided that week what the hay I'll see about getting her a bumper. So, I got lucky and found her one that would fit her mouth. To this day she fetches well as she did on the first day I threw the ball for her. I usually work on different things on different days just to mix it up for her occasionally throwing fetch in the mix. Today I decided to try throwing a tennis ball first, having her stay then throwing the bumper. As I knew she would be she was very anxious and released on the tennis ball before command, stayed for command on the bumper , but the nex try after a few stern stays she retreived on command on both items.
    Now I know this isnt how some of you would do things and I'm sorry if it comes across far fetched, but I know you guys can tell we're having fun open for any suggestions in the future
    thanks

Sorry, but that is not what FF is.

A force fetch typically involves either a very hard ear pinch, a toe hitch, an E-collar etc. Typically "Hold" is taught first and involves a correction to the dogs chin for droping something you place in its mouth such as a bumper, dowel, hammer,and other objects. FF'ing teaches dogs to fetch everything you tell them to and to not fetch what you don't tell them to. A FF'ed dog should be able to run past 4 bowls of food, 2 T-bone steaks, a pot roast, a bunch of its favorite treats, kids playing, and other dogs and fetch what you tell it too. FF'ing isn't a pleasant experience for either the dog or the trainer.

kelly
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    FF'ing isn't a pleasant experience for either the dog or the trainer.

kelly
    However, it does not have to be the chamber of horrors often portrayed!

HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    FF'ing isn't a pleasant experience for either the dog or the trainer.

kelly
    However, it does not have to be the chamber of horrors often portrayed!

I agree. No toe hitches or torture used here. Just the facts of life conveyed that when on my clock, they need to work. I also follow up successful FF sessions w/ liver treats, so I think my dogs understand that working WITH me is fun anyhow!

I hope the OP buys the book I suggested as working too rigidly w/ an immature dog (let alone a baby!) is a recipe for disaster. Let your puppy BE a puppy. Concentrate on socialization skills right now-- enroll in puppy kindergarten, etc and have fun.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

The OP might want to check out "Sound Beginnings" by Jackie Mertens, too. Evan has a puppy DVD out, but I have not seen it yet.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

I always wondered why the Dobbs use the toe hitch? I tried it on my self and it really doesn't hurt that much, an ear pinch to me is much more painful.
    At what age should someone like the OP start FF'ing a lab? I would think not before 6-8 months of age but I am a total rookie at this and didn't start my dog till she was about 2 because I didn't even really know what a hunt test was before then.
    Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast