Our first hunt tests (a loooong recap of this weekend)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first hunt tests (a loooong recap of this weekend)

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur first hunt tests (a loooong recap of this weekend)

What a weekend! :tired: Monty and I are both exhausted!

First of all, today Monty became CH Monty WC! I was less than worried about the WC test, but it did give me a good chance to practice sits at heel position after returning (and while still holding) the bird. He was such a good boy!
    :bigtup:

Let me also state that Monty has been the "talk of the town" since our run yesterday. LOL It was the most crazy experience of my life. Today, I had people from the Masters and Seniors tests coming up to me and asking if I was "the one?"

Yesterday, we started off with water marks and then moved to land. Monty is a huge water-lover, and his water entries are second to no one, so he passed that portion with flying colors. 8) THEN, after working the popper station (in the broiling hot sunshine with an umbrella that didn't work based on where the sun was hitting our little "spit" of land in the water) for the 1st water mark through the rest of the 44 juniors dogs (approx. 37 more dogs), we end up hitting the land series.

The land series- a 70-yard dead bird mark from a popper station to the right (right to left "throw" from a winger) into a clump of heavy cover amid moderate cover followed by a live-flier (ours ended up about 70 yards out) from left to right out of a group of trees into uneven ground- same moderate cover. It was probably a bit more than 90-degrees or so outside by then...without shade out in the field.

I am literally shaking in my shoes, absolutely terrified (and with little left of my stomach lining), and I sit Monty at the line, hold onto his collar with a finger, and signal for the bird. They launch the bird and the judges call "Dog." I send Monty and he RACES out there in a straight line (I'm dying with inner excitement, thinking he absolutely nailed the mark). He proceeds to run OVER the mark, continuing for at least another 50-70 yards in a straight line. THEN, he starts hunting out there, can't scent a thing (because there aren't birds out there *anywhere* of course), so decides to head over another 50 yards to the left to the shore of the big technical pond where he had so much fun in the morning series, looks into the water, and then jogs along the shoreline toward the 2nd gunners' station.

At this point, I'm freaking out inside and unsure what to do, so I watched and waited while my heart steadily climbed into my throat, pounding like a jack-hammer...it seemed like it must have taken him at least about 10 minutes. The judges gather around me and ask me "Can you handle your dog to the bird?" Speechless, I look at them with wide eyes in all of my newbie wonder (especially since I haven't ever handled a dog nor has the dog ever even seen anyone try to handle before) and reply, "I don't have a CLUE!" They tell me that I should at least give it a try.

Sooooo, I fumble around with my duck call and whistles, figuring that the first thing to do is probably try a remote "sit" on a whistle (in spite of the fact the dog hasn't been taught remote sits yet), finally finding my correct whistle and giving a short, sharp blast. Monty stops in his tracks and looks at me. I was floored, but managed to yell out (with an exaggerated pointing motion waving toward the bird), "IT'S OVER THERE!"

Monty glances at me and then amazes us all...the judges, the gallery, and ME!...and steadily and confidently trots right out, in a straight line, directly to the mark about 100 yards away, grabs it in his mouth and then comes right in. OMG, it was CRAZY!!! :surprise:

I was so excited and so proud of him (and my expert handling skills, of course! LOL) that I forgot everything and gave him a huge hug when he came in (which of course isn't allowed). The judges looked the other way and reminded me that I had one more mark, the live flier. So, after composing myself and Monty (who was quite pleased with himself), we signal and he nails the live flier. The entire place errupted into cheers, and I had people telling me that it was the best single-handle mark that anyone had ever seen.

Anyhow, we passed and ended up getting our first leg toward our JH yesterday.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Our first hunt tests (a loooong recap of this weekend)

Oh yeah. Today, we didn't pass...but I couldn't have been more proud of how well he ran, especially after so many people came up afterward to compliment us on how great we did and how far we've come since taking the beginning hunt test training classes a few weekends this summer when we first started doing hunt test training some weekends...learning how to give whistle commands and such.

He passed this morning's water series with flying colors once again, and nailed the first land mark this afternoon (we ran #26 out of 33 today), which I thought was going to be the hard one (the judges told me that was the money mark of the day). Then, for the 2nd land mark...he ran right out in a straight line to the mark and ran right over it again. After hunting and hunting, going back over that area 3 x's, and getting sucked over to another area twice (where there was a stack of the live duck crates for a while before moving the gunners' station for the test), he gave it a GREAT try and was sticking with it out there, I asked if I could call to him and was told to try. I could hear the judges behind me muttering "C'mon....C'mon...it's right there!" I made a big mistake and started off my "fetch it up command" by calling "Monty!" to get his attention instead of giving him a whistle. He took that as a call in. I was heartbroken...after he stayed out there for so long hunting, to be sooooo close! (sigh)

Oh well...one leg toward a JH and a WC aren't too terrible for my first time ever training a dog for hunt tests (and without a pro) and for my first (and Monty's first) weekend of hunt tests. I learned he is MUCH better prepared than I am! And I was so proud of him!

AND, I had several field pros give me cards in case I ever want to get in with a pro! LOL

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

krisinme is offline Senior Member

OMG too funny!!! WTG Julie! (((MONTY))) you good boy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on the WC. Only a few more JH legs to go!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the pass and the WC!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

OMG, you two did AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!! Just think of how ahead of the game you are with handling when you start training for Senior Thanks for all your help over the weekend.

Note: *There is ALWAYS adult beverages in a cooler in my car. Help yourselves ANYTIME
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Some photos from the weekend:

Monty with his first JH pass ribbon:

And of course, the "aftermath" today...sleeping, sleeping, and more sleeping! (Monty is the one sleeping with Elliott the cat)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    Note: *There is ALWAYS adult beverages in a cooler in my car. Help yourselves ANYTIME
    After my disappointment yesterday with that last mark, I really needed a glass of wine. Steve had some white that he shared, so I was all good on the ride home (and no, I wasn't driving...Danielle and I carpooled and I drove Saturday, she drove Sunday). I'll remember your offer.

BTW, your girl is soooo sweet, I love her!

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

GREAT pictures! Keep up the good job! Are you running next month? Something to consider, some dogs don't do well with back to back hunt tests and can really feed off of your energy. Not sure if that's the case but I know you and Danielle are working hard and it's paying off!!

That whole weekend was rough with Master and I was just a Marshal and test dog, so some SERIOUS beverages were in order! HAHAHA BTW, Steve was sharing MY wine with everyone :suspious:
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on the WC and the JH pass. It sounds like Monty & you did a great job.

Thanks, everyone! We had such a great time...I'm already looking into higher levels and learning how to train for those, LOL. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    BTW, Steve was sharing MY wine with everyone :suspious:
    Aha! So I did get to partake in your adult beverages! LOL 8)

I won't be able to attend the Golden Hunt Tests because I am entered in the HDLRC specialty show with Monty the weekend of November 8-9. This will be our first dog show since he finished his championship at LRCSC's show in April. So, he's entered in Best Of Breed, Stud Dog, and we're also going to try out Rally-Novice (B, since Libby just earned her RN title in February this year). I'm a board member of the club, and it is a wonderful club (and the closest specialty show I have to attend, too!) so I wouldn't miss it for the world. I think, based on our limited field training ability/facilities, that he would do just as well in a couple of weeks down at Prado (and I hate that I'm missing it, especially at the less expensive price, but my priorities are with my club right now) as any other time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast