Thank you for the help.

Thread: Thank you for the help.

joshuamos is offline Junior Member

DefaultThank you for the help.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice for me while I train my new lab. I stumbled across this site on accident and its really helping me. I've already mentioned this site to a few of my buddies who own labs. My dog is really opening up and developing into a good hunting dog. He is starting to quarter and learning how to use his nose. I can't wait to get him into some birds.

One more question though Im goin to start runnig him on some land that has a lot of quail and some pheasant. If he should flush some birds what should i do? should I fire a blank and throw a dummy? Or should I let him go and chase the birds? Someone told me to try and find a retriever club near me I looked and the closest one is an hour away so I'll rely on you all.(If you don't mind)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thank you for the help.

With gas prices what they are, it is hard to belong to a club an hour away. But we are in the same boat. All the training places are at least an hour away for us. But we go & then use the knowledge we get from the experienced people in our club to train closer to home.
    There are alot of good books out there but I found this article. I hope the link works.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article...lush-Page1.htm

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I would not let mine chase the birds, since you will have to break that habit later (or your dog could get shot).

There is enough free stuff here to keep you happily reading for months:

http://www.carmodybuilders.com/retri...ng%20info.html

GO JOIN THAT CLUB! Driving an hour one way to train is nothing!

Enjoy!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labnpug is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    There is enough free stuff here to keep you happily reading for months:
    http://www.carmodybuilders.com/retri...ng%20info.html

GO JOIN THAT CLUB! Driving an hour one way to train is nothing!
    Great link! I second that driving an hour one way to train is nothing. I have a retriever club a few minutes away from me but they don't offer any lessons and people tend to stick with their small groups so it is hard to break in, especially if you have "show dogs". So I drive about 80 miles one way to work with a trainer and 1 hour one way to work with a group of friends from a Lab club I belong to. It is well worth it. The season is pretty much over here now for hunt tests so field training is done, too (had frost last night) although duck hunting season opened today.
    I am trying to get a friend to take me and a couple of my dogs with him so they can get some work.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

don't be so sure the club is an hour away--the Volunteer listed may be an hour away, the actual meetings may take place a block away, or 100 miles away, or they may 'float' to various places to accomodate a far-flung crowd...for example, our main club has no clubhouse, members in at least 3 states, and meetings during training sessions while munching a sandwich, plus a few in various rod & gun clubs thruout the tri-state area. [not to mention a spiffy Awards Banquet once a year!]
    further, when you join a club, you will meet members near you--they will be happy to have a newbie who is willing to learn, throw birds, and give them a smile and quiet 'thanks' once in awhile. these informal training sessions will be fairly nearby, especially with the shorter daylight hours, arranged amongst yourselves for convenience...this is how you will not only find a wealth of information, but also new friends and even hunting buddies
    so--JOIN UP!!!!!!