How do i get into the working lark

Thread: How do i get into the working lark

Gundoggal is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow do i get into the working lark

Im a real rookie when it comes to working labs.. i have a 3 year old lab who has alot of energy and is very intelligant.. i would love to do some gundog work with her but dont know where to start..

I have talked to people at dog shows and they keep saying to me they would never work a chocolate because they are disobediant and not good workers... one even said they were mutants... will i be able to work her with this kind of prejudice? She goes to 'high flyers' obediance class which is the most challenging one in the area... but this she even finds easy and always wants new challenges...

sophie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do i get into the working lark

There are tons of working chocolate labs, chocos running HT's and running FT's. Ignore those people, they are just yanking your chain. Depending on where you are located, there will be an HRC club, AKC club or both near you. Check the AKC website for AKC clubs, or the HRC website to find the closest clubs to you, contact the club president, and find out when the next club training day will be, and go get involved. You will then be able to connect with local folks and find a training group to fit into.

Good Luck!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

ahh i just realised this is an american website.. i am english!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Welcome. I'm also in the UK. Where are you located? nearly all counties have Lab clubs. For example, I am a member of the Kent, Surrey and Sussex Lab Club. Shows, hunt tests and training days are usually run through a Lab club. The best way to get into the working 'lark' is to join your local Lab club and enquire about training. There are gundog training groups up and down the country - good ones will start with the very basics before working up to advanced retriever training.

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gundoggal
    I have talked to people at dog shows and they keep saying to me they would never work a chocolate because they are disobediant and not good workers... one even said they were mutants...
    NOT TRUE

Seriously, you are just dealing with the energy in a different venue. You will do fine. Try and locate a club in your area to work with and post your stories and questions with us, we would love to hear all about your training adventures.

Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Hi, I am a member of the Kent sussex and surrey labrador club too!! I didn't know they held events and training for this kind of thing thats great... i have been to their open shows, but had no idea!! I will definately contact them.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi, I am a member of the Kent sussex and surrey labrador club too
    Haha, really? and yes, they do hold those kind of events. See:

http://www.kentsurreyandsussexlabrad...o.uk/index.htm

Thanks, yes the chairperson jenny owns/has owned many dogs in my line.. so she helped us alot with alot of things.. very nice lady so she suggested we join.