Need help training my new lab.Please

Thread: Need help training my new lab.Please

joshuamos is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed help training my new lab.Please

My 10 year old lab passed away back in may and my brother bought me a new puppy who is now 8 months old. He is a great dog around the house and is a great family dog. So much so that my 3 year old nephew can walk him on a leash without any problems. He comes from great pedigree and his mother and father excell at both upland and duck hunting. He loves retrieving dummies and will hunt dead dummies with scent that ive placed. The problem im having is that, when training he stays at my side and wont search on his own. The last lab i had was extremely hyper and i had to train him to stay within gun range and was stubborn when obeying commands. This dog is extremely obedient and wants to please. So i need to know how to train my pup to quarter and to leave my side when in the field. I have a friend who trains Chessies and told me to start dummy work and working with scent. He also told me too love him up a lot and not to punish him much, which has never been needed as he is a very well behaved dog. I hope to use him this upcoming pheasent/quail season. Ive hunted teal over him already and he has no issues with gunshyness and will retrieve over water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need help training my new lab.Please

After reading a couple other forums i think he may have a "low prey drive". It seems to make sense. If hes only 8 months old is that something that he might develop? How would i develop that in him? Some times when were in the yard he'll see a cat and chase it about 10 feet and when the cat takes off hell come back to the yard.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Often alot of clipped wing pigeons/birds will help promote the drive to hunt. A zinger winger and a clipped wing is a really great combination. Holding the dog back for a few seconds before sending it. Planting and then flushing birds is great practice.
    My dog had no intrest in birds at 6-7 months but at 16 months suddenly found birds were the best thing in the world.

Kelly
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Kzunell I've been thinking about trying this, wih the pigeons. Any idea where i might find a pigeon trap? Im sure the local coop would let me place it there.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

You can get pigeon traps at www.gundogsupply.com and www.lcsupply.com.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

georgie is offline Senior Member

Is there any retriever clubs near you? If you can join one there will be people you can train with. Getting some pigeons will help too.