Comedy of errors but

Thread: Comedy of errors but

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultComedy of errors but

Hoss had an awesome training day yesterday.

I had what I thought was going to be a "simple" double thought out. The go bird was from a winger and "in theory" a "simple" swim of 60 or so yards through just starting to die back water lillies. The memory bird was a hand toss out into open water at the edge of water lillies, a maybe 80 yard swim through the lillies then open water.

My bird girl flung the memory bird a bit funny, and it went a little further into the open water than I wanted. I did not realize how strong the wind was out there. Well, the winger bird (the go bird) hit the tree over head and it dropped next to shore. How Hoss even saw it I do not know. Sent him for that and he took a straight line for it, but that meant through sticks, over logs and some really heavy junk. He started to come back without the bird, but a "hunt 'em up, find it" sent him back and he did find it finally.

By this time, the memory bird had blown an additional 60-70 yards out into the lake (maybe 150 yards away). Even though it was in open water, Hoss just would not go far enough. By this time, the dock (where the bird girl was) was obscuring Hoss' view of me as I was trying to get him to go "back" for the bird. So, the bird girl got Hoss back onto land as I ran over to the dock (.....I do not run as well as I did 30 years ago!!). Sent Hoss again after the bird (dokken) from the dock (gotta work on dock jumping) and sent him essentially on a now 200 yard blind. Poor Hoss kept going after the stick Marcia had thrown out trying to get Hoss out further on our first attempt...(Marcia...I said "get a ROCK" not a STICK!). Mean while the dokken is now about 300 yards out. FINALLY I could get Hoss out far enough to where he spotted the dokken and he got it.

Curious though, he handled better at 250 yards than at 60-100 yards! When we were running the next dog on the same double (adjusting our throws for better placements), a swan flew in to just about where Hoss had finally gotten that far retrieve. I think I would have had heart attack if I had seen that thing flying in when Hoss was out there!!

Hoss earned his kibble yesterday, and next time Marcia is running HER dog as the set-up dog!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Comedy of errors but

I think Hoss is telling you that he's ready for Super Retriever

Good job on the retrieve from all of you involved!
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

georgie is offline Senior Member

It sounds like all of you were involved in that retrieve. Good going Hoss.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Give that boy some extra food for that one!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    Give that boy some extra food for that one!
    Yes!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good job Hoss. You sure do deserve extra treats.

good boy Hoss!
    Harmony and

Lovely Lola CGC

Polliwog (Polly) RIP
    May 19, 2012 - Dec 9, 2012