Kelly and Donna- will you guys be at the Mock hunt tests on the 24th?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelly and Donna- will you guys be at the Mock hunt tests on the 24th?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultKelly and Donna- will you guys be at the Mock hunt tests on the 24th?

I think we're going to be there...and are probably going to pay the extra $ for that live flier. Cool! What a great way to go through the steps to see what you have to work on...and without the $70 entry fee going down the drain! I'm really excited!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

prophet is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Kelly and Donna- will you guys be at the Mock hunt tests on the 24th?

I would definitely pay the extra dollar for a live flier & hope you get a cripple {as it is a fun test}
    I'm sure you & your dog will have fun
    Good luck & keep us posted

DefaultRe: Kelly and Donna- will you guys be at the Mock hunt tests on the 24th?

Quote Originally Posted by prophet
    I would definitely pay the extra dollar for a live flier & hope you get a cripple {as it is a fun test}
    I'm sure you & your dog will have fun
    Good luck & keep us posted
    I just mailed a check to the gal in charge of the mock tests...$15 for the test and $15 for a live flier duck (a pigeon would have been $5 but I would really like to try our hand/paw at a duck instead). The last mock test I attended had such rank/ripe/old stinky ducks involved that I could smell them as the dogs approached from about 20 ft away. Blech! It really makes me wonder about the dogs having to deliver them "fit for human consumption"- those rotten ducks certainly didn't adhere to those standards! LOL Thankfully, though having an "off" day, my boy brought both of the stinky ducks my way. One of the goldens in the class actually rolled in his ducks.

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

$15 for a flyer duck on the west coast? And I have been griping about paying $10!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    $15 for a flyer duck on the west coast? And I have been griping about paying $10!
    Probably just southern California...I don't know what they cost in Northern California or up the coast. $15 is still worth it to me. Are your hunt tests $70-75, too? I would guess those are probably pretty standard throughout the nation?

$60-65 for Finished/Master
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

georgie is offline Senior Member

We run AKC & NAHRA hunt tests.

In AKC: Junior - $50. Senior - $65. Master - $75.

In NAHRA: Started $50. for members, $55 non-members. Intermediate: $50. members
    $55. non-members. Senior: $60. members & $65. non-members.

Gee...at our fun tests we pay $10. a duck & they are dead. We do buy live flyers, usually pigeons, and we all just pitch in. I like the fun tests cause it shows us what we need to work on.

Here is the information off of Entry Express for the upcoming Hunt Test at the end of this month (the one I've volunteered to work at):
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inland Valley Retriever Club 2008 IVRC Fall hunt test 1

Friday, August 29, 2008 - Saturday, August 30, 2008

Held in Chino , CA

Entries Close: Monday, August 18, 2008 11:59:59 PM CST

Event Type: AKC Hunting Test
    Event Number: 2008474803

Stake Fee Entries Judges Start
    Master $75.00 6 Tom Quarles / Florence Sloane 8/29/2008 8:00 AM
    Senior $72.00 10 Ed Ferner / Candy Ferner 8/30/2008 8:00 AM
    Junior $70.00 24 Laura Judd / Larry Saavedra 8/30/2008 8:00 AM
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another one in October sponsored by the Lab Retriever Club of Southern California:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Labrador Retriever Club of Southern California 2008 Fall Hunt Test 1

Saturday, October 25, 2008 - Sunday, October 26, 2008

Held in Chino , CA

Entries Close: Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:59:59 PM CST

Event Type: AKC Hunting Test

Stake Fee Entries Judges Start
    Master $75.00 0 Jim Charbaneau / Paul Rogers 10/25/2008 8:00 am
    Senior $70.00 0 TBA / TBA 10/25/2008 8:00 am
    Junior $70.00 0 TBA / TBA 10/25/2008 8:00 am

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2 clubs are completely different (though a lot of us are members of each), so I would guess that perhaps the prices are more a regional thing, then? Interesting... I wonder if there are any around California (maybe up north?) that are any less expensive?

Prices usually factor in the cost of bringing in Judges and other stuff, like ducks, and site fees. I know that there are some places that don't like to use club members as judges, and don't have a lot of local judges, have to charge more to break even with higher costs for transporting judges (airfare, etc.) It always seemed to me that Master should be more to enter than Finished since they have an extra series.

I think the price of ducks is about to go through the roof with the high cost of gas, and corn (feed) prices going way up. I have thought about using pheasants (half the price) for the land series, and ducks on the water, if the field reps would approve it.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I might be at Prado on the 24th but I won't be entered in the mock hunt test. Wendy and Steve actually set up a mock test every Wed and Saturday or Sunday, so I get to run Amber in those. Admitedly they are triples and or quads but I run them as singles and adjust where I run from or have them throw short to make them junior marks. Both Steve and Wendy are highly regarded as judges so they set up really good tests.
    If you are going to get a duck for the mock test you might want to get a chuckar for the land series too. In an actual hunt test you are going to get one live chuckar or pheasant on the land series and one live duck on the water series.
    You can buy the chuckar as you come into the gate at Prado, just bring a box and ask them for one when you pay your entry fee.
    I don't know how well the mock hunt test will be run as it isn't being put on by a club but by a person. I am not even sure if she is a judge, I know her husband is a judge. I am hoping it will be organized and run well but I don't know...

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast