FF Training- the "saga" continues...well, not really. LOL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF Training- the "saga" continues...well, not really. LOL

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultFF Training- the "saga" continues...well, not really. LOL

For those who know I've been really wanting to, but very intimidated about, FF train Monty:

I had put FF on hold after a couple of days since things just seemed to be going way too easily- from Day 1, my boy would dive to grab the bumper off of the ground...though it got a tiny bit quicker. My concern was that I wasn't really making "progress" because it was all going much too smooth, almost like my dog already knew how to do it. Not like in the videos, where the dog seems hesitant to begin with, and often there is at least a *bit* of a fight that occurs while trying to establish the idea of an ear pinch.

Today was a training day today with the Inland Valley Retriever Club- probably the best training day I've ever had! We may GREAT strides on many levels...and Monty did great with the new concept of "retiring" gunners. Anyhow, I was asking some questions about the short time we had worked on FF because I didn't want him *not* to be properly FF'ed and for me to just (unknowingly) continue on in training thinking he was...I hope that makes sense? (I'm a newbie, as is the dog, with all of this). They showed me how to walk a ladder with another dog, then use the heeling stick to transfer pressure from the ear pinch.

Took Monty out and he absolutely aced it from the get-go... from the first intro to the walking fetch/ladder to transferring pressure to the stick.

I am thrilled...and everyone raved about what a great job we've done FF'ing. So...I guess I am VERY lucky to have a dog that really doesn't take much to FF. I was really worried about having the balls (excuse the expression) to do this myself, being a newbie (and being a girl has nothing to do with it, LOL). 8) I thought this was going to be such a time-consuming, difficult process. I'm so glad my boy is proving otherwise.

BTW, they have me talked into running a popper station for the Master portion of the upcoming IVRC Hunt Tests...I'm excited! I don't think we'll be ready to run juniors ourselves, and haven't ever been to a hunt test before, I figured I would volunteer for this one and have lots of fun (and learn lots!) on the "other side" from those running their dogs.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: FF Training- the "saga" continues...well, not really. LOL

Good deal! Force fetch is like swim-by to me. It is only a "chamber of horrors" if the human turns it INTO a chamber of horrors. Its not like I have FF'd a thousand dogs like some pro's, but I think too MUCH ear pressure initially is very counterproductive. Just enough is just right.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Nice job on the force fetch progress

BTW, I think Monty is ready for a Jr Hunt test. He has the drive. I think you should run one of the days, how do you know unless you try it? Gidget was ready for Master, I wasn't but I had to get that test out of the way to get my nerves settled. I've learned a lot as a handler since June, now hopefully I can get our first two legs.

Another thing, if you don't feel comfortable running a test, volunteer as a Marshall at Junior on one of the days and run Monty as test dog. The Marshall gets to assign test dog and pick up dog. Lucy was always one level above Gidget. Gidget couldn't run back to back test days, (amped her up too much) so I would marshall both days and have Gidget run test dog, then I'd be kicking myself on why I didn't enter her because she would run clean
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    BTW, I think Monty is ready for a Jr Hunt test. He has the drive. I think you should run one of the days, how do you know unless you try it? Gidget was ready for Master, I wasn't but I had to get that test out of the way to get my nerves settled. I've learned a lot as a handler since June, now hopefully I can get our first two legs.

Another thing, if you don't feel comfortable running a test, volunteer as a Marshall at Junior on one of the days and run Monty as test dog. The Marshall gets to assign test dog and pick up dog. Lucy was always one level above Gidget. Gidget couldn't run back to back test days, (amped her up too much) so I would marshall both days and have Gidget run test dog, then I'd be kicking myself on why I didn't enter her because she would run clean
    LOL- Thanks for your vote of confidence...but you didn't see our sorry attempt at the mock JH test that was at the end of those beginning classes a few weeks back. After yesterday, I feel much better about it, though. I wish we had a place to train that was close. I would love to get out there and do some stuff early in the mornings where I wouldn't be so much of a "weekend warrior."

Great idea about trying to participate as the test dog...I would hate to embarrass ourselves, though. What if we didn't complete the series as a test dog is supposed to do? I think we have to do this a few more times before putting up a $70 entry fee for a single test, and I really need to get ahold of a winger of some sort so that I can get out even in the local soccer fields after dark and do some distance work by myself (no help from SU).

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I ran into Tony and Kate today at Prado and they said they were very impressed with your force fetching of Monty. Monty didn't do bad at the Mock test he just didn't have a force fetch and enough experience yet. He had great drive and really good marking ability. I am going to be working the Master Test with you on Friday and Saturday and Sunday I will be running Amber in JH, I am not sure yet if I will be helping out for the Master Test on Monday. If you come out for the Practice day on the 16th I might have a cheap remote launcher that you might be interested in.

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    I ran into Tony and Kate today at Prado and they said they were very impressed with your force fetching of Monty. Monty didn't do bad at the Mock test he just didn't have a force fetch and enough experience yet. He had great drive and really good marking ability. I am going to be working the Master Test with you on Friday and Saturday and Sunday I will be running Amber in JH, I am not sure yet if I will be helping out for the Master Test on Monday. If you come out for the Practice day on the 16th I might have a cheap remote launcher that you might be interested in.

Fantastic, Kelly! I work on Friday, but will be heading down Saturday morning...I'm really looking forward to watching you run Amber- you are both *definitely* ready, and I have my fingers crossed that you'll pass with flying colors!

Unfortunately, I'm going to be at the HDLRC Board Meeting at 10am on the 16th...I have missed a couple because of the IVRC classes, and as a board member I really need to be there. Would you be able to bring it along with you to the hunt tests so I can check it out? Is it for sale?

Tony and Kate are wonderful...I'm absolutely crushed by what happened to their beautiful Scout at that field trial. What great people, though...and always putting their dogs first (my kind of people, for sure)! I'm glad that they were impressed with Monty's FF. It sure went quickly and easily (less than a week to get him to the walking fetch portion). My biggest concern was getting to a point where I kept moving along in his training without him being properly trained. Guess he proved me wrong there- He learns pretty quickly, and the booger is all about having stuff in his mouth. I'm sure that all helps, LOL. Anyhow, I appreciate your kind words...there is a reason both of the judges' forms said "needs to be forced" I'm sure.

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    Great idea about trying to participate as the test dog...I would hate to embarrass ourselves, though. What if we didn't complete the series as a test dog is supposed to do?
    You are selling you and Monty too short Test Dog for Junior isn't as critical as Test Dog for Senior or Master. Any chance you get to run test dog, DO IT! It's a shot flyer, experience at a hunt test with all the excited dogs and people that both you and Monty need to experience at one time or another this way you are not making a donation to the club

I am marshaling Friday's Master and Lucy is running test dog. She can do it, it's just does she WANT to do it and am I willing to put up $75 for Lucy Rodman to show up? Nicknamed Rodman because she doesn't like to practice but she sure loves game day like Dennis Rodman used to. I figure running test dog I will get my nerves settled and learn the test and how to handle Gidget when it's her turn.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Never turn down a chance to run test dog assuming the dog can do the work! Freebie flyer, good experiance in a test atmosphere. Then you can sit back watch the test, or go to another stake without ending up "on the clock."

However, if ya ain't never made a "donation" to a club, ya probably ain't run a lot of tests!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    chance you get to run test dog, DO IT! It's a shot flyer, experience at a hunt test with all the excited dogs and people that both you and Monty need to experience at one time or another this way you are not making a donation to the club
    I asked Kate, but someone already is signed up to Marshal the juniors tests... she said she would get back to me about whether or not they may want a test dog. I may just bring Monty anyhow just for training purposes. Do volunteers still pay the gate fee for working hunt tests? I may try to bring a big cooler, too...for extra birds for training. I don't have a TON of room in my freezer, but I can definitely make room for a good reason! LOL

Are you going to marshal any of the other days? I work on Friday, but hope to make it down the rest of the days...sunscreen and bug spray in-hand (especially with the West Nile Virus and skeeters down in those parts)

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

The three or four tests I have worked at (LRCSC + Flat Coat Club) have paid my gate entry. You should be on the list of workers at the gate, you also get a free lunch and free drinks(at least at the ones I worked).

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover

I asked Kate, but someone already is signed up to Marshal the juniors tests... she said she would get back to me about whether or not they may want a test dog. I may just bring Monty anyhow just for training purposes. Do volunteers still pay the gate fee for working hunt tests? I may try to bring a big cooler, too...for extra birds for training. I don't have a TON of room in my freezer, but I can definitely make room for a good reason! LOL

Are you going to marshal any of the other days? I work on Friday, but hope to make it down the rest of the days...sunscreen and bug spray in-hand (especially with the West Nile Virus and skeeters down in those parts)
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast