Live flyer blind....thoughts on training?

Thread: Live flyer blind....thoughts on training?

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultLive flyer blind....thoughts on training?

So, for those of you who missed my recap from this past weekend's JH tests in lab chat, my chocolate Rider passed both days with flying colors. Rocked out like only he could. Rookie, my yellow, on the other hand decided to be a blonde and helped me donate $120 to the Fort Detroit Golden retriever club. :no:

Anyways, he marks great. He knows where the birds are. But both days this weekend, he decided to go check out the blind that held the live flyers and play with the boxes of ducks instead of going right out to the mark and coming back. He took off in a straight line each time, and then heard the ducks quacking and veared off. Now, this isn't the first time he's gone to go check out the blinds and the bird boys before. He did it at a couple of UKC tests, but since they weren't quacking at him and such, I could get him back on task and get the bird back. As illustrated from May of this year:

Aside from zapping him with the ecollar each time he goes to the blind, I don't really know what to do. I don't him afraid of the blinds (in case a flyer or throw falls short or close to a blind), but I really don't want him off track and going to the blinds either.

Advice?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Live flyer blind....thoughts on training?

Is he trained to stop on a whistle?

I wonder if you could set him up with a crates of live ducks in a training scenario and then have the bird boy grab him and haul his ass back to you?

Ultimately teaching him to handle would be the answer, but that will take a lot more time to be able to handle him off "poison birds"

(I see you are going to Wolverine this weekend! This will be Rider's title?)
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I have had a similar problem getting mine to run blinds off the suction of the flyer station. She would smell a crate of birds and say "THIS MUST BE IT" and try to pull a flyer out of the crate. Gotta love "birdy" dogs. This is what I did, rather than burn off bird crates (I don't like to create hotspots). I sat out 2 crates of flyers, 15 yards apart, as a "slot" and identified a pile 40 yards behind the crates. Then I ran a pattern blind between the 2 crates of flyers, starting very close, and then backing up. I did not correct with the collar for flaring the crates, or sucking to them, but corrected by walking out to the dog and "no'ing". After several sessions of this, we finally were able to run pattern blinds through 2 flyer crates 10 yards apart. We still have suction off the flyer station when running blinds, but it is a lot better now.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Is he trained to stop on a whistle?
    No, and I really think both boys should be. I need to get that done.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    (I see you are going to Wolverine this weekend! This will be Rider's title?)
    It would be if I were to run him both days. Unfortunately, I am only running on Sunday. I am doing an agility trial on Saturday in Lansing. If Rider passes on Sunday, we'll have to do Marshbanks in August to finish his JH.

Who are you running?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I am running Kodi for her JH title. She only needs one more pass, but I have her entered both days. I wish I could have afforded to enter Hoss too! Also I have a Golden pup in for a moth of training, so I will be working her on socialization kinda stuff.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I am new at this but I would think that you would make it simpler for the dog and start with a crate or two of ducks and a bumper thrown. Gradually doing retrieves closer to the crates. If the dog doesn't retrieve right away you correct for not retrieving. You can always use other interesting things in crates too like cats and rabbits etc. I am sure that you don't care if your dog investigates a blind and crate while hunting, but you absolutely do not want your dog to stop hunting so it can investigate the crates.
    You throwing a bumper and the bird boy with a couple of crates of riled up ducks should quickly convince the dog that retrieving is the only option.

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />