Your favorite training method, dvd, book...

Thread: Your favorite training method, dvd, book...

DostaffLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultYour favorite training method, dvd, book...

Sorry if this has been posted before. I'm fairly new to the hunt test game, only going to a few started tests. I have joined our local club and can't wait for the 'fun' days to start. My question is for a newbie into the sport, which method of training would you recommend. I only want to do hunt tests, and eventually I would like to train/test at the Master level. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    ~Melissa~
    And the Dostaff Girls:
    Abby, Anna, Ava, Brandy, Cali, Holly, and Ruby (and Dixie, too)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Your favorite training method, dvd, book...

Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking DVD sets are pretty much the bible. If your series about running Master, you will eventually end up with ALL Mike Lardy's stuff.

Danny Farmer/Judy Aycock's "Basics" is a jam up value for the money.

Evan Graham's Smartwork's series and ever expanding supplementary DVD's are also very good, but I find myself going back to Lardy more often.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

The things you need to teach a dog are:
    1 Force fetch/Hold
    2 E-collar conditioning
    3 Recall
    4 Ladder work
    5 Force to Pile/Sit on Whistle
    6 T-patern/Double T patern
    7 Land force/Water forcing
    8 Heeling/Sit/Stay/Line Manners

By the time you are done with 1-3 you should be starting to do single marks with at least one other person/trainer. By the time you have done 1-6 you can start doing easy blinds. By the time you have 1-3 taught you should be going out with a group of people that can help you train by throwing marks for you and you throwing marks for them. By the time you are teaching 6 you should be looking for a group of trainers that have a professional handler or hunt or field judge in them to train the more serious marks and paterns. Having a Pro or Judge help you is the best way to learn to build your own marks/blinds and scenario's. It should take about 3-6 months to train 1-8 Then it is just a matter of learning marks and blinds and this is just a matter of doing as many as you can. Every different mark or blind ads to your dogs understanding and ability.
    As to which method or DVD...probably anything that Gundogsupply.com carries or Any of the other gun dog stores carry would be fine.

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Mike Lardy's Total Retriever DVDs are wonderful, but are pricey and will include information geared to all-age work, which you don't need. If you have money to spare, certainly get them. His collar conditioning DVD is excellent as well as Evan Graham's SmartFetch (buy both if you can). Evan's DVDs are usually less expensive but contain only certain pieces of a training program. You can buy them as you go, which makes it nice not to have a huge upfront outlay of money.

Did I just pretty much repeat what GulfCoast said? I guess so.

4 Ladder work
    What is this?

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I believe "ladder work" as used in the above post is a pattern blind drill where numerous bumpers are placed out in the field, laid out horizontally to the line, with about 10 yards between them, each 10 yards farther away, looking like the horizontal rungs of a ladder. Dog is sent to pick up the first, returns on the same line 10 yards or so farther to get the second, and so forth working on extending the line of the blind by the dog going progressively farther out "in the field" from the line, as opposed to establishing a single pile, and then backing up, backing up, backing up the line to extend the distance. Its one of the drills in Carol Cassity's book. A really good low pressure way to teach holding an angle up a hill, too.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking DVD sets are pretty much the bible. If your series about running Master, you will eventually end up with ALL Mike Lardy's stuff.

Danny Farmer/Judy Aycock's "Basics" is a jam up value for the money.

Evan Graham's Smartwork's series and ever expanding supplementary DVD's are also very good, but I find myself going back to Lardy more often.
    Took the word's right out of my mouth.

DostaffLabs is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys and gals! I ordered the Farmer/Adcock dvd and have a friend who owns the Smartworks program dvd's.

I will more than likely be on this board alot in the next few months. I hope I won't be too boring for you guys!
    ~Melissa~
    And the Dostaff Girls:
    Abby, Anna, Ava, Brandy, Cali, Holly, and Ruby (and Dixie, too)

TN_LAB is offline Member

Anybody want to sell their copy of these (or any other retriever training) DVDs?