Hunt Class #4 - Ack!

Thread: Hunt Class #4 - Ack!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultHunt Class #4 - Ack!

Ok, NOT Rocky's fault. As I have mentioned he does NOT do well in the heat. It was 40'C with humidity (about 100F). I considered not going but figured i'd go and at least learn (even without having Rocky do anything). It was cooler out in the field, lots of shade and plenty of wind. I had lots of water and cooling tools to help.

Rocky behaved oddly (again, my fault). He kept running under the cars. Any car. he just wanted under there. He wasn't even taking treats (which is...very rare). The last time I pulled him out his tail was wayyy under his back legs First time I have EVER seen that. next thing you know the teacher is saying it's our turn. eek. I tell her he isn't really in the best frame of mind but by this point his tail is wagging and he looks ok and goes right up to her.

The gunner throws teh bumper and he takes off very happily. Right up to the gunner, doing the happy dance and jumping of her (he just loves loving on the gunner). I'm actually RELIEVED at this point as he's being himself and happy. I call him back (his recall throughout this class was been remarkable, which surprises me as he normally does not have a great recall!). So in the end we just kinda played with him seeing if he'd touch the bumper but he was just being silly so we called it quits.

At the end of class we all did some basic obedience sit/stay, recall) as a reminder this is the basic part of training. Again Rocky did very well at this part. I think the teacher over does the praise on what we do well since....we don't do too much well . She's been very encouraging, insisting we keep coming to classes. She seems to be understanding that Rocky does not do well in the heat and says to come back in the fall. Which would give me time to slowly introduce the bumper. He also did get the bumper for the first two weeks of class, so he CAN do this.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hunt Class #4 - Ack!

STRESS
    poor guy - he wants to do it but he's obviously a bit conflicted eh?

hang in there and if it's important to you keep on chunking it

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Trickster is offline Senior Member

100F? :scare: what time of day are your classes? I would say that it could potentially be very dangerous to run a dog in that heat. My dogs start lagging when it is 70-75 degrees. Anything over that and we stay and home, leaving any activity for early morning/evening.

I think unless the classes are being run in the evening when it is cooler, I would come back in the fall.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I have been training this summer and we seem to be doing fine with the heat. Being in southern California we haven't had any temps below 90 for a while (Our low last night was 68) . The thing is the dogs get conditioned to the heat after a while. We also work the dogs just 10-15 minutes then have them jump in the ponds to cool off. We also try to do water marks in the afternoon. Keep the dogs in shade, Keep them ventilated, give them plenty of clean fresh water, Don't feed them before you work them.

Kelly and Amber and Ready

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    100F? :scare: what time of day are your classes? I would say that it could potentially be very dangerous to run a dog in that heat. My dogs start lagging when it is 70-75 degrees. Anything over that and we stay and home, leaving any activity for early morning/evening.

I think unless the classes are being run in the evening when it is cooler, I would come back in the fall.
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    I have been training this summer and we seem to be doing fine with the heat. Being in southern California we haven't had any temps below 90 for a while (Our low last night was 68) . The thing is the dogs get conditioned to the heat after a while. We also work the dogs just 10-15 minutes then have them jump in the ponds to cool off. We also try to do water marks in the afternoon. Keep the dogs in shade, Keep them ventilated, give them plenty of clean fresh water, Don't feed them before you work them.
    Very true, Kelly. Same here (in southern California, and often time with Kelly at training classes). It is usually a pretty steamy 90-degrees F by about 9 am where we've been training.

Monty is a dog who "melts" in the heat (just like me!)...even just standing around in the sunshine at a dog show. He's doing better and better, though. We've been working on the fact he's playing "lazy" with me about longer marks these days when too warm (runs half-way there, then turns around and runs back with his tail wagging, the big dork- sigh). We'll get there. We haven't been through FF or anything like that, so while he loves retrieving and does so with gusto in the water, he's not the same dog when talking much longer marks on land in the sunshine and heat.

We just do a mark or two on land, then rest the dogs while everyone else does the same, then on to water which we usually end with unless you need more work on land marks.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon