About to twack Rocky with the bumper - Updated Sunday (second page)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About to twack Rocky with the bumper - Updated Sunday (second page)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultAbout to twack Rocky with the bumper - Updated Sunday (second page)

seriously. I know I know I don't do it. but i really really want to.

He is regressing. He will not touch the freaken bumper. at all. it's not improving and i'm exausted at trying to be "hyper" to get him interested.

I've tricked clicker training as well but he won't pick the damn thing up.

he was doing ok at the actual class the first two weeks but yesterday he wouldn't touch it until after more than 5 minutes of intense work to get him to look at it.

This is really so simple. I'm getting mad at him and I KNOW I shouldn't. I've even taken almost a week break to relax about it but still, i'm loosing patience.

ETA - no I will NEVER twack him with a bumper! and I know that when I get frustrated I need to end the training session ASAP (even before I hit that point) as the dog will sense my frustration and likely get even more confused. so this is what i do.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: About to twack Rocky with the bumper

awww Tanya - I feel for you ...

it's SO FRUSTRATING when there is regression but it is part of the natural order of dog training...

I don't know anything about field work ...but it is possible it is stress at work?

evil bad stress for you (worrying about him picking up the bumper) and him (wondering why the bumper has become a great big deal)

to teach a dog to play for agility who simply won't play we build value for anything they'll touch - for one dog I worked with it was a plastic bottle first .. then a plastic frisbee..now her new mom has her playing with much more traditional tug toys

wonder how that Premacking could work with a bumper....hmmmm
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Have you tried live (restrained) birds???????? I think bumpers are boring too!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Tanya, I feel your pain... 'cept substitute dumbbell for bumper!

Do you have access to bird wings? You could ziptie a wing or two onto Rocky's bumper? That might make it a bit more appealing?

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

kaytris is offline Senior Member

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

I have just two words for you...FORCE FETCH. May not have been to two words you want to hear, but that should fix your problem. Fetching has become an option for your pup, and he's telling you "Uhmm, not right now." You have two choices, FF or continue down the road your on. Attaching wings on a bumper might help in the short run, but chances are he'll do like my dog did, wise up and not go get the winged bumper. Then what? Before I FF Duke, he would retrieve birds all day but wouldn't touch a bumper. Post FF, he doesn't know the difference. If you FF, you'll actually see an increase in your dogs attitude about retrieving. Good Luck.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If you are just doing it for fun (which I think you are?), try the wings or wrapping a rabbit skin around the bumper. You can also get bottled scent on the other side of the pond if I remember correctly. I bought some of it back a couple of years ago and the dogs went wild for it.

If Rocky is not motivated by the bumper by itself now, he probably never will be. It is one of those things.

brody is offline Senior Member

I would put money on:
    he can learn to pick up the bumper to get what he really wants to play with

the premack principle is pretty profound

the issue may be if you are able to make the connections for him and break it wayyyyyyyyy down

if you want this enough you can and will figure out a way (that does not involve FF unless you want to use FF)

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone.

No live birds, but he was introduced to a dead duck and he didn't give it a second glance (even with me playing with i!)
    We tried the technique in the website linked by kaytris (making it the best thing ever) for two and a half weeks. The few times he would get it, it would be with tail low (and I was sitll keep the energy very high and positive then). I got exausted of doing it with absolutely no success.

Rocky is like this about everything. Even with tennis balls, it has to be the "right" one or he won't look at it. I"ve been using squeaky balls as he likes those.

I am able to get him to hold it, then recall and he'll bring it to me.

I am able to get him to sniff/paw it with the clicker.

But he won't pick the thing up!

will see about the bird wing - might work. worth a shot i guess!

I'll keep working on the clicker version, I stopped that after 10 sessions so maybe it will work with abit more effort and...more treats! This is also the first training we do without treats really.

What seems to work is to get him REALLY REALLY riled up. the thing is, it takes A-L-O-T of work to get Rocky worked up like that. But when he's there he'll go fetch it. how long would I have to do this to get him to fetch WITHOUT needing 20minutes to rile him up?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Conrad has a good idea about premack, and you can do it without cheerleading.

Same idea as 'no dessert till you eat your broccoli.' Whatever it is that Rocky loves (even dinner), becomes contingent on first touching, then mouthing, then holding, then retrieving, the bumper.

Start by preparing his dinner. Set it on the counter so that he knows it's there, and hold out the bumper, without saying anything. Wait till he bumps it with his nose, or at least moves toward it, then mark it with a clicker or "YES!" and immediately put the dinner down. When he's consistently bumping it, then up the criteria and wait for him to open his mouth. Then wait till he puts his mouth around it. etc. You can also split the meal into several portions to get a few repetitions for each meal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast