About to twack Rocky with the bumper - Updated Sunday (second page) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About to twack Rocky with the bumper - Updated Sunday (second page)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: About to twack Rocky with the bumper

ok - will try! it will be about meals for sure. that is actually the only way I was able to teach him to bark. He had to bark to eat, and he would get soooo frustrated he'd actually bark (no I have no YET regretted teaching him that, but now everytime he is frustrated at not getting a treat in my hand he barks haha)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Have you tried tying him out, and letting him watch a whole string of dogs working, having a jam up time fetching bumpers?

Many pro's I know do this with "low desire" dogs. It usually revs them right up. Especially if they are working in water. It tends to get the dog competitve juices going. Then once the dog figures out its fun, its fun!

I would hold off on FF for right now. Its a valuable tool, but its not the only way to skin the cat. FF (the process, not just table work) is as much or more about learning to deal with and work through pressure as it is cleaning up hold, its FTP that really teaches "Go" and I sort of doubt Tanya wants to go through FTP, etc. right now. But I could be wrong.

I would try the other stuff first.

I betcha it gets worked out!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Sigh. I tried to get a fun short session going but when I saw go get the bumper he lays down

Oh and yes, he gets to see ALL the dogs have fun with their bumpers. He really could care less. I will do the food thing (must get bumper to eat). I mayyyy try the orange fake one - on the off chance there is something off witht he smell of the white one from the field.

Oh and on the field they will even throw a bunch of bumpers and cause quite a comotion - he won't go to the bumpers at all.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Poor guy, he's stressed and associating the bumper with no-fun.

I'd go for a different style/colour of bumper, or use a different toy entirely for the time being - what about one of those rubber duck-on-a-rope things? Dockens??

yeah I messed up along the way. I think i was trying to hard (even when keeping it light it was too much).

I'll try the full motion with another toy (or more than one other toy) so we can the motion going. only two classes left, not sure it's worth trying to get a dokken??

brody is offline Senior Member

use anything bumper like in shape but a different texture or bumper texture and a different shape - cheerleading doesn't work for me either - not ever honestly

premack all the way ... step by very slow step - throw out your expectations and just fit it in where you can ...

and when you think he's ready to move on do more reps so it's really solid

hang in there

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    yeah I messed up along the way. I think i was trying to hard (even when keeping it light it was too much).

I'll try the full motion with another toy (or more than one other toy) so we can the motion going. only two classes left, not sure it's worth trying to get a dokken??
    Try a fuzzy paint roller? They use those to start FF, dogs like to pick them up and play with them. They are light, and kinda furry.

Send me your addy, and I will loan ya a dokken (I have quite the collection). If your gonna buy one, start with the wood duck.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

So Tanya,
    What do you really want to do with Rocky, and is it that important to stress yourself over? I don't know how old Rocky is, or anything about him, but maybe the genetics aren't there or maybe he just wasn't encouraged for this "line of work" as a pup. I honestly feel that the first 16 wks are the most important to introduce new concepts. Mine are all on live birds/pigeons at 6-7 wks. I also do outings w/ my gang that allow the pups to tag along w/ the big dogs and learn how to flush up birds, etc.. I know of one pup out of one of my first field litters that the family said "never was into fetching". When asked about it, they said, they sure didn't encourage it either as they didn't want a ball crazy, etc, dog. I think many labs need to experience the fun of chasing prey, and once that clicks, there's no turning back. Interestingly enough though, one of my puppy homes has 2 Guide Dogs that didn't make it into the program, and to this day (after many walks w/ my gang), still have absolutely no desire to check out the birds or scent. Or swim for that matter! Anyhow, I'd still try to get him on live birds. You need to instill a good prey drive before the rest of this really can be developed, otherwise, it'll be a long row to hoe.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

IMO, IF the dog 'once upon a time' enjoyed 'playing' with the bumper, and now does not, it is because the bumper has become a stressor...and the more you 'cheerlead', the more stressed he will become--because: ''why is mom making such a fuss, there Must be something to worry about''.
    so: do link the bumper to something he does like, such as his dinner, and CALM DOWN! this means, whatever he does, say or do NOTHING until he nose-touches, or whatever stage you are at....then let the clicker do the talking. avoid like the plague injecting your feelings, happy or sad, into the mix.
    one of the important principles of Premack, or any other non-coersive training, is to make it all the DOG'S idea!!!!!!

will see if he will touch it before his meal but he tends to be intense wtih his meal (in his sit stay of course) so it would be as slow as having him eat for even just looking at the bumper to start.

Bottom line - Rocky is very rarely drivey about anything. At our therapy test we have to exite the dog to get them to calm down and he wouldn't. And I know him quite well. So I asked for too much too soon because to my human eyes, it was sooo simple. But clearly he is not getting the right message from me. And I agree, he is getting stressed at even my happy/exited behavior which works for most dogs. It took TWO YEARS to get him into flyball (meaning get him thru the training and actually have him HAPPY to go the whole thing) but the training steps were good for him (he enjoyed it, I made sure of that)

As I do not intent to hunt and this was just for fun, I will not try force fetching.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast