Wants to go Hunting?!?

Thread: Wants to go Hunting?!?

s_shala is offline Senior Member

DefaultWants to go Hunting?!?

Hi

There i was hoping i could find some advice please, my husband wants to go shooting and would love to take Jazz but he has never hunted with a dog before and neither have i, what age can Jazz start going out to get use too it and what is the best way???? She already fetches and give the item back to you. Please post any info i would like to find out as much as i can.

Thanks Sam
    <br />My cutie Jazz<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wants to go Hunting?!?

Is she conditioned to gunfire? And steady? Personally, I would wait until after 6 to 8 months, depending on the dog. They need to be really steady to wing and shot to avoid problems in the future. Multiple gunners can also really overwhelm a young dog. Do you have a local HRC/AKC hunt test club nearby? They are a GREAT training resource.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Yer there is a place bout 20 mins from where we live i will look into it thanks for ur advice

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I would really encourage you and your spouse to join the local HRC/AKC retriever club! You can search the Hunting Retriever Club website for one near you, too. I think AKC has a similar function. Having someone you can personally talk to that has "been there and done that" and can watch you and your dog is invaluable. And it is SUPER FUN, too!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    I would really encourage you and your spouse to join the local HRC/AKC retriever club! You can search the Hunting Retriever Club website for one near you, too. I think AKC has a similar function. Having someone you can personally talk to that has "been there and done that" and can watch you and your dog is invaluable. And it is SUPER FUN, too!
    Ditto here. I originally started training for hunt tests to make my dog a good hunter. Now, I hunt to enhance/proof my training for hunt tests. With hunt tests, my duck season lasts all year long.

I will search that and hopefully find somewhere close to home x