Hunt Class #1 - recalls/retrieves

Thread: Hunt Class #1 - recalls/retrieves

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultHunt Class #1 - recalls/retrieves

Tonight was the first class. What a day for it, I was sick all night and slept until 1pm, felt terrible. Luckily I spent the day resting and by late afternoon I was feeling solid enough to drive out.

Only I get there AN HOUR early! oops!

Today's lesson was to have fun and introduce the bumper to dogs. This was my fear -the bumper. Rocky is VERY picky about what he retrieves. If it's not the "right" tennis ball he won't touch it. But he pleasantly surprised me!

First time up - retrieve one he look game to get the bumper, ran out to with with enthousiasme, i called him back and he returned (yay) but sans bumper. Teacher said that is good, the important part is he came back. We go again (playing really silly with teh bumber so he wants it) - perfecto! He runs out, gets teh bumper and returns to me! YAY!! He did it one more time.

Next - retriever with a gunner. A man stands away and abit to the side. You sit your dog next to you, when he looks out you call "mark". Guy throws the bumper (he was making noises as well) then you yell out your dog's name as you release.

Rocky - first time he completely missed the throw and was scratching his butt Second time he goes out, returns sans bumper again. Third time is a charm - he runs out GETS THE BUMPER and returns! WOOHOO. We end there as he did so good.

At the end of class she brought out a dead duck. She had it out for her kiddos earlier so she decided to let us have a go at it.

And YES, I had to touch the thing. ick! There wasn't really any room left for being squeamish, she just handed you the duck and expected you to have fun with it

Rocky would have none of it. I played with it, tried to get him to notice it, all he did was give it a quick sniff and sauntered off. Now I admit, I didn't try the "throwing the duck towards the duck" technique hehe

No biggee. I am soooo happy of how well Rock did, much better than I ever expected.

oh the class: 10 dogs. Quite a few tollers (the class is given by a toller breeder and the teacher is another toller breeder). A mini-poodle, a golden, Rocky representing the labs and a springer spaniel
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hunt Class #1 - recalls/retrieves

Tanya, I am so excited for you and Rocky. Thanks for representing the labradors at the Toller Clinic! Aren't the toller's cute? Sounds like Rocky is well on his way to being a bird dog

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    And YES, I had to touch the thing. ick! There wasn't really any room left for being squeamish, she just handed you the duck and expected you to have fun with it
    Oh, the stories, I could tell ya :suspious:
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Go Rocky! Take a deep breath, and repeat after me: ITS JUST A DUCK, ITS COOL TO TOUCH IT.....
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great first experience! Scotty would not touch a bird at first. It took a while to get him going, but now, he's crazy for birds. I'm sure Rocky will be just like that. Just have fun with it.