Darn Cold Tail!!

Thread: Darn Cold Tail!!

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Default Darn Cold Tail!!

Yesterday we went out for the first time for field training since Amber was injured about 3 months ago to do some water work. A really hot day (around 100) I thought this would be a nice day for this. The water was pretty warm as the ponds are only about 3 feet deep and it has been warm lately. On the next to last retrieve she came out and kinda limped on a back foot but then was fine so I figured she had stepped on a thorn. Did a couple of last retrieves and loaded her up for the 15 minutes ride home and then hosed her off before going inside. This morning she was a bit grumpy and when I went to take her out she was not her usual self. When I let her back in after a bit she was definately not a happy dog and was crying everytime she would wag her tail. She even would turn around and look at it and try to lick the base. She also once limped for a step on the same back foot. I took her over and had Wendy Pennington Look at it and she glanced and said dead tail and to give her an asprin (ascriptin which is coated with maloxx). I also put a heat pack on her tail base for a while and that seemed to make her feel better.
    Poor Amber if not one thing its another. Well at least this should be better within the week or 2 weeks at most.

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Darn Cold Tail!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    had Wendy Pennington Look at it and she glanced
    There's your first mistake, hanging out with Wendy! She has bad dog juju

I am sorry for Amber. I hope it heals up quickly.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Dang! My girl Libby had this for the first time a few weeks back. I think she ended up spraining something jumping (well, more like slipping...I saw it happen, though it was fine at the time) into our swimming pool, and she has been swimming in much, much colder water for much, much longer without any problems. It took her about 3-4 days until it was more or less back to normal, and I just gave her a little Rimadyl for the first couple of days to help with the inflammation/pain.

I hope Amber is feeling better soon! Sorry to hear about this, Kelly... it can't be comfortable! :'(

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Rest and Rimidyl or other anti-inflam that is safe for dogs and she should be good to go in a few days.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Cold tail sucks, but at least it does not last long! Hope she feels better soon!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Amber is much better after only 48 hours. She is running around playing and her tail isn't quite back to normal but close. Her tail is fine about half way down but sometimes she wags it normal now. She still doesn't like me to touch the base of the tail but otherwise she is happy again!

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    Amber is much better after only 48 hours.
    Yay! Poor Amber...I'm glad she's feeling better.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Good deal. Most of the time that I have seen it in duck dogs, if they get cold tail Sat, and sit out the rest of the weekend, they are OK Wed AM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am glad Amber is feeling better. My girls get cold tail every once in awhile. A few days rest & they are back to normal.