Beginning Field Class (mentioned below)- Class #1 of the series of 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Field Class (mentioned below)- Class #1 of the series of 10

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultBeginning Field Class (mentioned below)- Class #1 of the series of 10

Went to the first class of the series this morning...it was great! Very beginning (like working on heeling and whatnot), but apparently it was just what we needed since Monty decided to stop to pee on a decoy on his way out for a land retrieve, then sniffed the bumper and decided to sniff everywhere else and pee everywhere else once out there. LOL Oh well, we've only trained in the field twice now and are still even more novice than novice! It made me feel better to see that every one there with an intact male was going through the same thing to some degree, though.

Then, afterward, we did some fun walking singles on our way out to a pond just for some fun water retrieves (Monty's favorite thing is water) and once there, sent him after a bumper into the water...he flew into the water, grabbed the bumper, came to the shore and just stood there, refusing to get out of the water. Running the other direction didn't work. (sigh) This is soooo frustrating!

Question...I am working on e-collar conditioning, but someone told me that this may not be the best time to use it, even for recall. Thoughts? He does fine with his recall here at home...but get us to a park, field, etc. and he tunes me out. I guess I kindof thought that was what an e-collar was for...a way to correct (like a quick snap of the slip chain) when you aren't right there to do it?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Beginning Field Class (mentioned below)- Class #1 of the series of 10

I am not a pro, but it sounds to me like you need some time on a long lead to work on the recall to get it more solid in the face of distractions prior to CC to "here." YMMV.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

DefaultRe: Beginning Field Class (mentioned below)- Class #1 of the series of 10

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    I am not a pro, but it sounds to me like you need some time on a long lead to work on the recall to get it more solid in the face of distractions prior to CC to "here." YMMV.
    Yes...I think that's true. Part of the e-collar conditioning program I'm working through involves the long line (Lardy's program), and he seems to understand "here" just fine when on the long-line. He even does fine at the park or at the beach. However, get him in that field (or in the pond) and he may as well have put in earplugs! I haven't even started with e-collar work at the training facilities yet (and since it is a 180-mile roundtrip, it takes some doing on the weekends to get down there), so we're still a ways off. Just wondering why this (ignoring a recall) wouldn't be the proper use of an e-collar.

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

The proper steps for training the recall would be to teach it on leash then both on leash and with the collar, then both on collar and with great distractions. Then when you have done enough distractions to ensure 100% reliability on leash you go to a liteline/longline and E-collar work at a distance increasing distractions. litelines can be used in the water as well.
    The principles are to make the exercise as easy as possible while you train and then once taught you increase the dificulty (Proof) by making much harder distractions than a dog will ever face in a trail or real life. The E-collar is only one tool and you still have to teach and proof with it. Experienced trainers already have a plan on what to do if their dog doesn't obey a comand. For the recall most often it requires that you bring the dog to the exact spot where you called the dog from. In your case I would have droped my hat to mark the spot and went and got my dog (yes even waded out into the pond) and grabed her and brought her back to that spot correcting on the way to make a point (assuming no E=collar and no liteline was on the dog). A dog that learns it can get away with something once might consider the odds of getting away with it twice or more. A dog that never gets away with it doesn't know it can.

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

In my opinion, once he's properly force fetched, all those issues will disappear.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    Went to the first class of the series this morning...it was great! Very beginning (like working on heeling and whatnot), but apparently it was just what we needed since Monty decided to stop to pee on a decoy on his way out for a land retrieve, then sniffed the bumper and decided to sniff everywhere else and pee everywhere else once out there. LOL
    Sounds like Alfies lessons lol

How old is the dog?
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    How old is the dog?
    2.5 years, but without much in the way of obedience prior to this. It is a case of trying to learn one thing well before starting the next, being the newbie that I am. I learned a lot doing conformation, and now that the dog has finished his CH, I'm starting the "fun" stuff like hunt test training. My pet girl at home has her RN title, as well as one leg toward her CD (we've only competed 2 times and once she stood up on a down-stay and NQ'ed)...so I'm not as much of a novice when it comes to the obedience stuff. However, with the conformation dog, we started getting an automatic "default" sit anytime anyone would even look at him (and forget about bait), which is obviously not the way a judge can evaluate his conformation in the ring, so we kindof "untrained" sit and worked on basic house manners instead. Now that I've been through the conformation stuff, I think with my next puppy, I would be able to figure out a way to do both effectively...I just didn't want to screw anything up with this one.

So, we're starting from the beginning.

I didn't want to start FF before having a person in front of me show me what to do. I have all of the books, tapes, DVD's on the subject and have spoken to people/e-mailed with people about it. It doesn't look difficult, but I didn't want to mess anything up without seeing it for myself in person (which I did this weekend). That's why I went a little bit out of order and started e-collar conditioning first. We are still doing e-collar work on the long-line.

Do you have Evan Graham's "Smartfetch" DVD and book? It is most helpful.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

I am sorry I missed Monty having fun!

Wish I could give you some advice on recall. DH worked with a pro on collar conditioning and force fetching and was the one that taught it to the girls. I took over once the hard part was done.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast