Fetching

Thread: Fetching

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultFetching

Question for all you:

I am starting some training classes (beginner hunt/field) next week. The teacher said they use mostly bumpers (with abit of bird intro I think).

My worry: Rocky does fetch, but only certain tennis balls (yes only CERTAIN tennis balls). i'm sure this is a normal issue but what exactly happens in this case?

I asked if I should introduce the bumper now (before class) and she said no.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fetching

I would. Just a couple of times a day. Here's my thinking...

If she doesn't take to the bumper right away, you don't want to find out in class. And if she doesn't, and you find this out at home, you can tease her with it, jump around and make a "big deal" about the bumper and get her interested in it. Much better to do this at home than in a class in front of a bunch of strangers. :embarrass: I can't imagine why she would say "no", unless she thinks you'll do it "wrong" and have to train out a bunch of bad behavior. That's what the class is for, have fun with your dog. Besides, how will she ever know... :suspious:

bluebell1988 is offline Junior Member

Could i ask, what is a bumper?

I gather its something you fetch.I think its what brits call a "dummy" am scottish btw
    Does it come in a green colour.

Good luck with your classes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Tanya, HOW EXCITING!!! You will have to tell me all about it! Do whatever it takes to get that boy to get interested in a bumper BEFORE class. It puts you ahead a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell1988
    Could i ask, what is a bumper?

I gather its something you fetch.I think its what brits call a "dummy" am scottish btw
    Does it come in a green colour.
    Funny thing, I never knew there were green ones till I went to find you a picture! Here's a picture of the bumper/dummy

Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Ok I will approach the bumper intro as I did for the tug intro - first part involved just having a party alone with the tug/bumper. Very short periods of play with it. Lots of happy squealing and such. LOL then slowly get the dog involved. It worked for the tug (though it was filled with treats making it easier - it was a treat tug).

She may have misunderstood my question. I think she ment i didn't need to go buy one as they have some at class (might be part of the cost of the class). But I agree, knowing my dog I need to slowly introduce the bumper BEFORE class

The bumper is Dryf's favorite toy so I'm familiar with it! Great toy.

And yes Donna, can you even believe I'm getting into this! LOL! I got the e-mail this morning t hat there was a class starting and was signed up within hours (and hours only because I got the e-mail at 7am and i don't like caling people that early!)

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    And yes Donna, can you even believe I'm getting into this! LOL! I got the e-mail this morning t hat there was a class starting and was signed up within hours (and hours only because I got the e-mail at 7am and i don't like caling people that early!)
    Tanya, I am so proud of you! I think you will have a great time. You are such an out doorsy person and this would be great for you and Rocky.

With the bumper when he gets excited about the bumper, give him 3-4 tosses in the morning and at night then put it up. You always want to keep him wanting more
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

As others have said, introduce the bumper in a playful way. Scotty did not want to pick up birds at first, so I had to make a fool out of myself running around like crazy teasing him with it, making him jealous. Once they figure out what you want, you can solidify/formalize it with force fetch if you're interested.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I don't have any more helpful tips for you, but I can't wait to hear all about the classes!!!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Do you think alot of the fetching this is situational?

Rocky surprised the crap out of me at class by bringing back the bumper (not the first time out but the second). I mean I was amazed he picked it up at all! The teacher had us do it much the way you all explained (making it a super fun game, teasing and having fun).

BUT, he won't do it at home. Or at the park. I try to keep the same upbeat game and everything but he won't get the damn thing. I always cut short because I am frustrated and that just doens't work for him OR for me (it's not fun when I'm frustrated it is!)