1st Master Hunt Test

Thread: 1st Master Hunt Test

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Default1st Master Hunt Test

A beautiful day on Saturday. We are dog #15. Land Series. Left inline hip pocket triple with a walk up, deep cover. I had to handle on the middle bird. We are on to the double blind. It wasn't pretty but we challenged the blind and made progress to the blind. Not to mention the judges drug a bag with a duck in it around the bush where the diversion shot was. NICE! That was a hard whistle stop to call her off of.

Next series, water/land. Tight right in line hip pocket. Again I had to handle on the middle bird but my handle was too late because I didn't think I could handle her and decided to let her hunt, she switched to the live flyer station. A hard left "over" she picks up the bird. After she picked up the bird I hear on the radio, " I need more birds." :scare: WAIT!!! I HAVE TO HONOR!!!! Gidget sees ALL THREE stations come in for birds. I am trying to turn her around so she doesn't see the commotion. Not going to happen. :no: She is amping herself up. All stations are back in place. I am trying to get her in heal position. She is in perfect heal position. "Honor dog ready?" "Yes, we are." "GUNS UP" <creep, creep> "Dog to the line" <creep, creep> Me, in my low voice, "hheere. heal" When you talk to Gidget on the line she gets more vocal. By this time she is a good 2 feet in front of me and I can't get her back by my side. The judges say, "if you think she is going to break, put your lead on." Me, "uh, do you think?" Put her on the lead and she is squealing like a little piggy as all the marks go down. :surprise: She vocalizes when you talk to her and when she has a lead on. "Honor dog is excused"

All in all, I had a great time. I left Lucy home and made that day all about Gidget. That was the calmest I have ever been with her so we both worked great with one another, her more so than me. It was all handler inexperience. I came up in the hunt test circuit fast so it was such a huge learning experience and a great time. 2 1/2 years ago I was running my first JH with her at the age of 1 year. We were definitely playing with the big dogs. Lot's of Field Trialers that had FC titles and of course our dog trainer with 7 MNH and SRS Dogs!

Thanks for reading, thanks for all the advice and thanks for letting me share the story. BTW, we are singed up for the back to back MH the end of August.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 1st Master Hunt Test

OMG, I think I would have completely freaked out as soon as they called for more birds. :surprise: So sorry to hear about that- Doh! It still sounds like a great time and it sounds like you guys otherwise did a great job! Best of luck in August. I'm sure we'll be seeing you in the meantime.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I was so freaking nervous I wanted to :vomit:
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Wow: Your judges like hip pockets! Ours are infatuated with poison birds and out-of-order flyers right now. We had to sit on the honor bucket one time after a "cold blind" then marks setup for 3 dogs when 3 dogs in a row went out on the blind before any marks were thrown. Talk about a meltdown waiting to happen....sure enough.... :scare:

It sure is fun, though!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I loved watching you and Gidget work on that 2nd series I think you did wonderful for your first time in Masters. I especially liked your training technique for when you had Gidget on lead and were honoring. That behind the back leash hold to get Gidget to be quiet was interesting. The judges couldn't see what you were doing but everyone behind you in the gallery could..lol
    I could tell you learned alot at the Masters and will be ready for those challenges next time. You have done a great job with Gidget in a very short time. I hope to get out there next week to start training with and learning from you guys.

Kelly and Amber and Ready
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

We aren't quite there yet, but maybe someday. You hang a "MH" on a dog and you both have earned it. Good luck.

olducker is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    We aren't quite there yet, but maybe someday. You hang a "MH" on a dog and you both have earned it. Good luck.
    RIGHT :educated: And Good luck eH !
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
    went.
    -Will Rogers......Tim

Gulfcoast, you know, in our test, the blind should have been a poison bird since they scented the tree with a bag with a duck. Not sure what was up with the hip pocket kick! Should be interesting on we train for in the coming months.

Thanks everyone! We both had a great time. It's been a long road and I did learn that "there IS crying in dog training" whether it's me or my dog

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    I loved watching you and Gidget work on that 2nd series I think you did wonderful for your first time in Masters. I especially liked your training technique for when you had Gidget on lead and were honoring. That behind the back leash hold to get Gidget to be quiet was interesting. The judges couldn't see what you were doing but everyone behind you in the gallery could..lol
    Kelly, funny how you all caught that! Gidget and I were done and I just wanted to give some courtesy to the working dog. Little Miss Opera Star would have sang to her heart's content if I let her :canadian:

Look forward to having you in the field with us!