Another bad habit to break...

Thread: Another bad habit to break...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother bad habit to break...

Okay, drive is *definitely* not an issue here...but VOCALIZING leading up to and during a water retrieve is! :surprise:

I had a few people giving me different ideas, such as putting my dog on a long-line and if he starts barking/whining during the retrieve, pulling him back into shore, only letting him "get" said object when he goes quietly. We were doing that today with a collar/leash to work on "howling" at the line... as soon as a bark/whine would come out, we'd heel away from the edge of the water for a bit, then return and sit, only allowing him to fetch when he sat quietly. It worked pretty well...but he would still launch himself like a torpedo into the water, all worked up, and then bark every 10 seconds on his way out to the bird/bumper.

Thoughts/ideas?

Today was only our 2nd official "hunt test training day" and we actually did pretty well overall! 8)

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another bad habit to break...

Do you recall the last training day where I had a bark collar on Gidget and she set it off and I had the ENTIRE FIELD looking at me? Well, WELCOME TO MY WORLD :ugly: We run our first Master at the Flat Coat Test and I am afraid as soon as those birds go down, the barking off the line is going to dq us and I will have donated $75 to the club :surprise: I have no suggestions because I am not able to stop it.

It was great seeing you today. I am currently uploading pictures of the day and will send you the link.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've not had much more than a "yip" off the line, but I can sympathesize w/ noise in the holding blinds. My current oldest girl was impatient and noisy there. No force/correction ever helped. All I could do was reward the quiet, and actually with time, she quieted down. Maybe yours will too. Right now it's just too exciting to him!

A long line can be dangerous if it snagged on something below. I'd rather you use an ecollar if you are going to give a correction but if you do, be sure to go thru the complete FF program so the dog understands where the correction is coming from and why. I do know most judges will have to fail a dog for too much noise.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    I've not had much more than a "yip" off the line, but I can sympathesize w/ noise in the holding blinds. My current oldest girl was impatient and noisy there. No force/correction ever helped. All I could do was reward the quiet, and actually with time, she quieted down. Maybe yours will too. Right now it's just too exciting to him!

A long line can be dangerous if it snagged on something below. I'd rather you use an ecollar if you are going to give a correction but if you do, be sure to go thru the complete FF program so the dog understands where the correction is coming from and why. I do know most judges will have to fail a dog for too much noise.
    We're working on "hold" (which is going quite well, since he always likes to hold something in his mouth, whether sitting there, heeling, or whatever) right now, and will probably start a FF program soon.

This boy is completely bumper crazy...he only really seems to do this behavior (whining/barking) for bumpers, not for birds. I don't really want to see it, period, but I suppose I should be thankful for that (for now). Probably my fault for using bumpers as "pool toys" for our dogs when out having fun in the pool. I have read about this problem (vocalizing) on RTF, but most of those people have MUCH more experience and MUCH more training than I do (or my dog, for that matter).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Just going thru a good FF program MAY correct it. Let's hope anyhow!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Belle used to be HORRIBLE about howling (more like SCREAMING) at the holding blind. What helped (in addition to some maturity) was to have her lay down in the holding blinds rather than sitting. She got better for a long time, and then, after not running her in many tests, she has reverted a bit. But now, she is only runs when there is not a test dog available (costs too much to run her at started for "nothing" and I never did get the basics down well enough with her to go to Seasoned or Senior).

Several judges told me they do not really mind whinning and yips on the way out to the bird...at teh line or holding blinds is not good though.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm having this problem with Rookie right now. He's very impatient in the blinds and is okay at the line....but taking off for the bird (especially) in water, he let's out a couple of yips and off he goes. He actually made the judge laugh this past weekend.

I need to control him though too. It's good that Monty has the drive for the bumpers, the rest will fall into place.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

I forgot to mention, one thing that I did during training was when Gidget started her normal screaming as the flyer was going down, instead of sending her for the birds, I called to a heal, put her leash back on and put her back in the kennel in the car. She didn't like that at all. I waited for about 4 or 5 more dogs, then I got her out and we tried it again, and low and behold, she was quiet.

I find with her, if I keep telling her quiet or no bark, she gets even more amped up.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    I forgot to mention, one thing that I did during training was when Gidget started her normal screaming as the flyer was going down, instead of sending her for the birds, I called to a heal, put her leash back on and put her back in the kennel in the car. She didn't like that at all. I waited for about 4 or 5 more dogs, then I got her out and we tried it again, and low and behold, she was quiet.

I find with her, if I keep telling her quiet or no bark, she gets even more amped up.
    That has worked for me, as well as "sit/nick/sit." Its the "sit quietly" command they are violating with excessive vocalization. My girl is always fine the first day of a test, and a little yippy at the line on day 2. I am cutting back on my tests to deal with that one!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg