Hunt Test and WC/WCX this past weekend and a Title

Thread: Hunt Test and WC/WCX this past weekend and a Title

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

DefaultHunt Test and WC/WCX this past weekend and a Title

LONG Story get ready:

Saturday no problem on the hunt test except 1. The blind. I send her back in the water, she popped and started barking at me. :no: I calmly cast her right and she takes the cast. I still had to work a bit on it but we got the job done. I kept her on line and made progress to the bird. We got our third leg on Saturday.

Sunday: WC/WCX Day
    I am in charge of this for our club. It is held the same day as our club hunt tests because we get the birds from the same vendor. It takes a while to get going but once it does, things start to move a long. :embarrass:

I head over to Senior run Gidget on land. The flyer lands deep in cover and I don't see her so I assume she is hunting it up then she pops out with the bird. Good Girl! The memory bird: I send her, it's up a knoll. She gets up on the knoll with her head pointed left where the bird is, just then, on her same path, some Brittany Trainers throw a bird up in the air and then shoot it. :surprise: Immediately, Gidget's head swings towards them and she starts accelerating. The girl before me had the same thing happen and she couldn't get control of her dog and her dog ended up in the Brittany Group. I whistle stopped Gidget and handle her to the bird. ARGH so there is my 1 handle in the test. :whatever: I run the blind fine with her, she didnít line it, we had 3 whistles it also helped that the blind planter planted the wing up and you could see the white feathers. We are then asked to honor. She was extremely close to breaking, but didnít! We are excused from the line then I leave and I am off to the WC/WCX.

I come back for the water series and I am running dog 5. It's more of a Master looking test. After some discussion with fellow dog handlerís, I first ask the judges if I have a handle to give because of the Brittanyís running interferance and they said, "Don't worry about what I had to do on land, letís see what you got in the water." So, 3 of the 4 dogs in front of me had to handle on the 2nd water mark. It's a walk up, the birds go down. Gidget BREAKS in my eyes, but is taking a perfect line, so I call her back. I send her again, and she goes down the dike. I call her in again I line her up again correctly, which was the first time and send her. I then told the judges "THANK YOU" because I thought I was out. :no: They then said, "Why are you thanking us?" I said, "Because you are taking your time to come judge us." :surprise: SHIAT, I thought I was out and I was thanking them.

We are then discussing what I just did and said and they were telling me not take myself out of a test. Then they say, your second mark NEEDS to be clean! ARGH!!! :no: Everyone else in front of me had to handle. So, I line her up to the second mark and send her. My training group, who is also my Hunt Test Committee call me on my cell phone. Their ringtone is a Quacking Duck! Gidget hears the duck call and turns and pops on me 2 feet off the bank. :scare: I just put my head down and don't look at her, because I can't help her and I cannot believe what is going on. She turns and just starts swimming towards the mark. She figured it out on her own and got the bird. The judges asked me, "Do you LIKE your dog?" I could have just DIED!!!! I get the, "Good Dog. Now let's see how you do on the blind." Everyone so far was going out on the 2nd mark or the blind.

The blind is a channel blind between some toolies. You have a bunch of toolies on the right and on the left. You need to line the blind in between those two. The dogs wanted to pull right and go around the set of toolies on the right. I battled her a bit there and then got her back on track. Then she started pulling left and trying to go around that bush. I pull her out and drove her with a hard verbal BAACK!!!! She went, and then lined the blind.

I so wanted to heave my brains out. I will NEVER live down the cell phone going off in my pocket!

The judges put on a great challenging test! Lucy and my husband ran under one of these judges last year and that was the only Senior Test she didnít pass. BTW, Gidget is a Senior Hunter! She has come a long way and I have a LOT to learn!

Lucy, well, she got to play pick up dog at the WC/WCX and got a lot of crippled birds so they were giving her a really good chase and she was having fun.

The WC/WCX? We had a total of 18 entries for the WC and 11 for the WCX. Our numbers were down on the Junior Hunt Test so hopefully we will be seeing this group starting their first Junior leg in the fall. Itís that misery loves company thing! HAHAHA

Thanks for reading and as always thanks for all the tips received in this forum!

Donna

Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hunt Test and WC/WCX this past weekend and a Title

It was a good Hunt Test and a good WC/WCX. I had fun throwing for Masters and I really loved throwing for WC/WCX. I learned alot about how they are expected to run dogs in masters and I always love watching the baby pups in WC/WCX.
    So am I going to see you in Masters this Fall? I really need to get Amber ready for Junior this fall and now I have a great stock pile of ducks that this really great person helped me wrap and bag for the freezer..

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

ricky Guest

Good job!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kelly, it was so nice to meet you! You were a great help to the club! Now when people ask you how do you get birds to train with you say, "You volunteer your hiney off at the hunt test and you get about 30 birds"

Thanks Ricky.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I must have done OK because Mikki the judge wants me to work her Golden Retriever Test in November. It really was fun and there were a bunch of good dogs there. though I did hear about the handler who had the crazy duck ringtone while she was running her dog...lol

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Fantastic job and congratulations, Donna and gang!!! I wish I could have been there (and that I felt more prepared). Soon, though.

I ended up helping out at the HDLRC Fun Match on Saturday and we then had a board meeting afterward (ah, the fun of being on the board), and on Sunday at 1pm was the puppy eval party for Monty's first litter. It was a great weekend, but after my last weekend at Prado, I would have loved to have been there, even just to watch and help out!

Kelly- glad you had such a great time! Maybe you and Amber can meet up with us through the summer down there when we make it down to train! (You too, Donna) I just got my new credit card in the mail so I get to make that order through gundogsupply.com now! LOL

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Kelly, I wanted to crawl in a hole after the phone ringing. BTW, the Flat Coat Test is in June, you should come out and help there as well. That's where I will run my first Master :scare:

Thanks Julie. You have a lot of time to get your points and get ready for IVRC hunt test over Labor Day Weekend.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    Kelly, I wanted to crawl in a hole after the phone ringing. BTW, the Flat Coat Test is in June, you should come out and help there as well. That's where I will run my first Master :scare:
    Good luck, Donna! Does the Flattie club have a website with any more information?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    Thanks Julie. You have a lot of time to get your points and get ready for IVRC hunt test over Labor Day Weekend.
    I'm going to be up in Cambria that weekend. Since I'm an IVRC member, though, I fully plan on getting down there for their practice days as well. VERY exciting!!!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Tagen is offline Senior Member

Haha! Sounds like you had an interesting (but fun!) day! Good luck on your first Master test! As if there isn't enough to think about walking up to the line, now you got to remember if you turned your phone off or not!