WC question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC question

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultWC question

How does a WC work? Do they use live birds or dead and just throw them? Do they use the same bird for all the dogs or get new ones?
    Alicia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: WC question

I think it depends on the club, though I doubt they'd want to expose a brand new dog just learning to retrieve birds to a shot-wounded one who is flapping and biting. Around here, they use dead birds, and some of those dead birds can be pretty gross from what I've heard (which means you have to really make sure you work with the dog picking up old, icky birds as well as freshly-shot dead birds).
    I think there is one water single and one land single for a WC. Doubles when going on to WCX, etc. I believe.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

prophet is offline Junior Member

You can either get live fliers or dead birds as was stated
    I really prefer live fliers
    Most clubs that use dead birds dispatch them that morning before the test I have never seen rank ones at a WC. But it is always good to train with them. The clubs around here usually have at least one fresh bird per dog so that after the test is over the participants can take a bird home

You will get 1 land mark not to exceed 50 yards or so in short cover
    2 water marks back to back in swimming water
    The dog does not have to deliver to hand but to a designated area
    But I would suggest working on delivery to hand
    Here is a link
    http://www.thelabradorclub.com/certi...Cbrocure07.pdf

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

In a HT, you normally get the rank birds in hot weather, on the land series, after water has been run, on the Sunday test..... :-X
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

prophet is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    In a HT, you normally get the rank birds in hot weather, on the land series, after water has been run, on the Sunday test..... :-X
    The ? was a WC not an HT
    Most clubs that I have judged for an ran my dogs in will do the land first & then water so the dogs do not have to deal with that situation

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

It all depends on what the club and members have available. I had to rely on club members to have frozen birds for the practice days and the club for the connections for the live birds.

The LRCSC WC/WCX TEST is this Sunday and the test will have land first with a live shot pigeon. In the water you will have consecutive singles with the first retrieve being a dead duck (that was shot at the Hunt Test on Saturday) and the 2nd retrieve being a live flyer. In the water, if your dog doesn't get the first retrieve, which is a dead duck, it will not be rewarded with the live flyer.

For two of the three practice days we had both, live shot pigeons/chukar and frozen/thawed pigeons or ducks. We threw the birds with a popper shot AND we used a winger with a popper shot plus shot live pigeons. It gave a little experience of everything to the new dogs/pups.

Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Thank you I will work on everything than.
    Alicia

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

You can always write or E-mail the Secretary and ask her or E-mail a club Member of the club hosting the trial and ask them.

Kelly Greenwood
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

labnpug is offline Senior Member

Our Lab Club (Badger LRC) has a shot live duck on land followed by 2 thrown (dead) ducks on water.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

At the test this past weekend we had a lot of breaking dogs and a lot of crippled birds. Practice with a clipped wing and hold onto the collar till the judge releases the dog.
    Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast