Gunfire introduction

Thread: Gunfire introduction

BlackLabAlvin is offline Junior Member

DefaultGunfire introduction

I don't really have a place to shoot off guns so I was wondering where most of you go to introduce your dog to guns? I was thinking of going to a shooting range and walk the dog around a bit at a comfortable distance while people are shooting and gradually work my way closer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rmilner is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Gunfire introduction

Here is a short video clip on introduction to gunfire

http://www.duckhillkennels.com/Rober...g%20videos.htm

Best Regards,

Robert Milner
    www.duckhillkennels.com

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have heard that the firing range idea is not necessarily the best idea. If there is a bad reaction, you have an even worse problem on your hand because you can not control the gunfire.

How about a cap pistol or starter's pistol (the kind that uses primers as opposed to .22 blanks, which are way too loud IMO). Pair it with food at frst and then retrieving. None of my kids have ever had a problem with the introduction, but I know that some dogs can be gun shy
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sla
    sla is offline Junior Member

Good video. There's similar methods, but all involve starting at a distance, and association with something the dog loves. I'd just add that you need to 'read the dog'. If there's ANY kind of spooky/scared reaction, don't move closer. You may have started too close. If you watch the dog in the video, it was very comfortable when the shots were fired. That's what you want to see at each distance. It was interested, but comfortable, not spooked. And, I agree about staying away from the gun range. You want a controlled situation.
    To find a place to shoot, go to where you normally can hunt/train. Get permission/know the regulations. Also, there are a lot of wildlife areas or go to a nearby lake. At their office they usually have a map of land or water areas where dog training/hunting is permitted, and the restrictions/guidelines of using the areas. Usually you can fire guns in these areas. Finding a good place to train can be difficult. Ask private landowners for permission. Some are very generous in sharing their land...IF you respect it and them.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Living in southern California, there aren't many places that allow gunshot (besides the shooting range or gun clubs), so I feel your pain. Thankfully, I took my boy to a hunt test training day this past weekend, and the shotguns and pistols didn't phase him a bit. He was sleeping in his crate in the back of a truck not even 100 yds away from the shore where they were shooting live birds.

My girl will probably be a different story, though, since she has shown nervous tendencies around fireworks since puppy-hood. I look forward to reading more replies to your question!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Tagen is offline Senior Member

you can also start by making loud noises at home. Some folks will clap their hands while their pup is eating or bang a pot, anything to simulate a gunshot. Important to start the same way as with gunfire. Start from far away, come in closer. I would also recommend using a starter pistol with primer. If you have to ask someone to use their land, they may be much more comfortable knowing you will just be using primers instead of actual bullets. Do everything slowly and eventually you'll have a dog that will be VERY interested in gunfire and want to go where the action is!

olducker is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tagen
    you can also start by making loud noises at home. Some folks will clap their hands while their pup is eating or bang a pot, anything to simulate a gunshot. Important to start the same way as with gunfire. Start from far away, come in closer. I would also recommend using a starter pistol with primer. If you have to ask someone to use their land, they may be much more comfortable knowing you will just be using primers instead of actual bullets. Do everything slowly and eventually you'll have a dog that will be VERY interested in gunfire and want to go where the action is!
    this is GOOD

12ga primers are all you need ,the firing range idea is not a good one eH Go to a U K C or A K C Hunt test ;D
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
    went.
    -Will Rogers......Tim

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

One thing I heard from someone this last weekend is that they actually purchased a DVD of a hunt test with the shots/gun-fire, and play it in the CD player of their car or at home, starting off on low volume, but gradually working up until it is really loud after a few weeks. That way, they are not only exposing the dog to the sounds of a hunt test while doing things around the house (including meal times and whatnot) or going for a car ride, but they also mentioned it seems to help keep the dogs from knowing when it is a training session vs. an actual hunt test when they play it on speakers outside during training. I found that to be an interesting concept.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon