LRCSC WC/Hunt Test practice day yesterday

Thread: LRCSC WC/Hunt Test practice day yesterday

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultLRCSC WC/Hunt Test practice day yesterday

I am *such* a newbie at all of this, I decided to bring only one dog- the winner ended up being Monty because Libby is still getting over a minor fear of fireworks and I didn't want to take her along just to spend the day in a crate.

Since it was the first time either of us had done any of this, and we haven't done much in the way of formal obedience yet (long story, but as a puppy, he had an automatic default sit whenever the judge would look his direction in the ring, so we had to basically "un-teach" the command for the show ring), it was fun to see where he stood. He was great in the water for a first-timer... retrieved every single thing thrown in there for him including some where he had to swim, go over land, swim, then come back over the land to deliver it to the shore again- is that called a "re-entry?"

I felt badly, though, by trying to squeeze in that last go of the day after some encouragement from the friend I was with. I pulled him back out of his crate (and a dead sleep) when he was simply so exhausted from the rest of the day that we could barely get him to slide into the water (definitely not his usual exhuberant water entry) and it took some coaxing to get him to find the bird (while a guy off to the side cracked a bunch of jokes about needing to throw him Snausages :). I should have quit while I was ahead there and ended on a better note. Live and learn, though...and we both learned so much we're both still dragging today (mentally and physically)!

This week, I am going to work more with the birds and wings tied on bumpers (because he is a complete bumper nut- he would go for the bumpers up and beyond the birds which is probably because that is usually what we play with in the pool), especially on land. He'll retrieve just about anything in the water, but only retrieved a couple of pigeons and virtually any (including another dog's and several in people's hands) bumper on land. We're also going to start teaching "sit" more firmly and hopefully on a whistle, and work on recall. Wish us luck!

And Donna! It was so great to meet you and Gidgette yesterday- you are both beautiful and sweet (a great combination)!!! What fun! ;D

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: LRCSC WC/Hunt Test practice day yesterday

Glad you had fun! We're doing some WC work this spring too!

I can't wait. Roo is a nut for birds!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

If you can get 'em fired up by teasing them with a live bird first, you will be amazed at how much gas they get in the tank for picking up real poultry.

Glad you had a good training day. You will come to love field work, and your dog(s) will, too! ;D
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_2Labpups is offline Senior Member

Julie, Monty is a very stunning boy! He is in the "WOW" factor! It was great to meet you two.

That was such a different setting than what he is used to. The different scents, bird scents, gun shots, etc., coyotes were out the night before (I camped out there Friday night and they were singing to me :) you BOTH did FANTASTIC!!!! ;D

Look at me, I thought I could hop in a 1:1 OB class thinking I could breeze through it. First thing asked of me? "Let's see your foot work." HUH?? Spent 45 mins on walking in a straight line at the tennis courts getting my left turn, right turn and about turn down.

The snasauge comments? That guy ALWAYS has snasauges in his pocket for his puppy :

Let me know if you want to get out to the field and I will be more than happy to work with you. ;D

Donna, slave to Gidget and Lucy Lou<br />Gidget, CGC, JH, SH&nbsp; &nbsp; Lucy, CGC, JH, SH<br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for the compliments and the explanation of the Snausage Man. He was trying to be funny, and I would have thought it was funny under normal circumstances (especially since he doesn't know what drive this dog can really have...he must not have heard him that morning when he was so vocal, straining to get those birds in the water while another dog went out for them). Nobody else was laughing but him, though. : It sounded like he was pretty well-versed in the sport, though, with a mult. qualifier (the chocolate dog right in front of us...though he certainly wasn't doing anything quickly by then, either).

I was so honored when I was presented my own hand-braided leather lanyard with a couple of old whistles on it that morning. And I'm still overwhelmed by all that I learned...and can't even remember part of it, in spite of all of the reading and DVD-watching I've done! I'm one of those "learn by doing" people, so this was perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Labpups
    Let me know if you want to get out to the field and I will be more than happy to work with you. ;D
    You have NO idea what you might be getting yourself into! LOL I'm really excited about all of this, and I would really like to concentrate more on it. Now, if I could just get those pesky last 4 single points out of the way in the show ring, I could work on this full-time on the weekends! Yippee! (fingers crossed)

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon