Where can I find birds

Thread: Where can I find birds

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhere can I find birds

Where can I find some "real" birds to work my dogs? There is a local club holding a WC and they are using ducks for water and chuklers for land. I am in the SW conrner of Ohio.
    Alicia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Where can I find birds

I'm pretty sure I saw them in Cabela's catalog.

Tagen is offline Senior Member

Check your local hunting retriever club. Someone there should be able to give you the heads up on where you can find some live birds in your area.

Otherwise you can try this place http://www.y-farms.com/ they sell both frozen and live birds (I think...)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

We used y-farms birds at our hunt this weekend. The first test I have ever seen that was all drakes, since their hens are still laying. Ben and Jennifer at y-farms will ship you frozen ducks, but the shipping will cost as much or more than the ducks since you gotta overnight or 2 day a huge box to keep them from thawing out. Your local co-op or farmers market should be able to help you find some birds.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Contact the local club that is holding the WC and ask them where they are getting the birds and then get them from the same place. Also you can get some "free" dead birds usually by volunteering to work at any hunt tests or feild trials or WC's in the area. Most clubs will "pay" their workers by offering them birds after the test or trial is over.
    Hope this gives you some more ideas on where to get birds.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

call your State 'Department of Fish & Game' or whatever they call it in your area. they support bird farms in your state so they can stock for hunters. many times these places are closer than you think, but there is Never any advertising, lol!
    ['Rod & Gun' clubs also use these places.]
    you can buy direct from them, however they do not ship.
    sometimes they will give you dead ones [they check every day, there usually are a few] for free, or little cost, if you buy some live ones...