Not fully retrieving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not fully retrieving

YukonsMom is offline Member

DefaultNot fully retrieving

We have a 10 month old yellow Lab named Yukon. He will stay when my husband throws something, goes when he says "mark", comes back 75% of the way and just drops it.

Any training ideas besides force fetching (which he hates)? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YukonsMom View Post
    We have a 10 month old yellow Lab named Yukon. He will stay when my husband throws something, goes when he says "mark", comes back 75% of the way and just drops it.

Any training ideas besides force fetching (which he hates)? Thanks.
    Who hates the force fetching? Your husband or the dog?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

First, basic OB. "Here means here." Then, put him on a check cord, throw him short marks and gently bring him in when he stops. Make this fun, not punishment, and you should be able to work it right out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Who hates the force fetching? Your husband or the dog?
    Ha Ha, Yukon hated it. I should mention when I say "force fetching" I just mean being on progressively longer leads and reeled in with the dummy. He's completely distracted/annoyed at the leash. My husband wasn't formally doing FF.

On another forum someone was saying that dropping it before fully returning was a sign of lack of confidence or some sort of "fear" of my husband , but that doesn't ring true at all- he's very happy/eager and adores my husband.

Today I watched them and he'll drop it far away, or as close as 3 feet away, but it's never a full return. I feel like he doesn't speak English

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    First, basic OB. "Here means here." Then, put him on a check cord, throw him short marks and gently bring him in when he stops. Make this fun, not punishment, and you should be able to work it right out.
    Could we use treats with this? He was distracted by the leash . Is a check cord a leash? Thanks.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

With v. young puppies, we just turn and run AWAY from the pup to make them WANT to bring you the bumper or bird. Did your hubby ever do this? Did he play fetch in the confines of the house, down halls, etc where he could quickly toss another toy? There are many good books on the market, but I suggest your hubby try to make it fun. Anne

PS, using treats often just makes the pup drop what is in their mouth and run to you. Treats are great if you WANT them to drop... as in a Give to hand, but otherwise no.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    With v. young puppies, we just turn and run AWAY from the pup to make them WANT to bring you the bumper or bird. Did your hubby ever do this? Did he play fetch in the confines of the house, down halls, etc where he could quickly toss another toy? There are many good books on the market, but I suggest your hubby try to make it fun. Anne

PS, using treats often just makes the pup drop what is in their mouth and run to you. Treats are great if you WANT them to drop... as in a Give to hand, but otherwise no.
    Thanks so much- that makes sense about the treats, I should have realized that!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YukonsMom View Post
    Ha Ha, Yukon hated it. I should mention when I say "force fetching" I just mean being on progressively longer leads and reeled in with the dummy. He's completely distracted/annoyed at the leash. My husband wasn't formally doing FF.

On another forum someone was saying that dropping it before fully returning was a sign of lack of confidence or some sort of "fear" of my husband , but that doesn't ring true at all- he's very happy/eager and adores my husband.

Today I watched them and he'll drop it far away, or as close as 3 feet away, but it's never a full return. I feel like he doesn't speak English
    Can't help it. THEY DON'T!

I was getting frustrated with HKs retrieves at the river. She would drop them about 3 feet from shore. Someone suggested, as someone already did in this thread, that running back away from the dog would help. For HK and me, it was like the magic answer. It worked so well. I kind of came to the conclusion that if Iwere waiting for her, OR if I was moving toward her (even worse) she was setting up for a game of keep away. When I moved away from her it was like, 'No! No! This is for you. Please take it.' Yeh! Right! Ed is trying to get inside HKs head.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

gundog is offline Senior Member

It's unclear if your recall is working........I would fix two things......1st the recall....make it bombproof.

2nd you need to teach hold.

Here's how...........

I like to start on a training table but it's not required. I get him up on the table, snap him to the cable. Get him to sit properly. put the dummy in his mouth, say "hold" Make him hold. Make sure his lips are not pinched.

Do not yell.

Do not hit him or apply pressure.

Do not lose your temper. He'll know, you can't hide it from him.

Be firm and calm......we're teaching not testing.

Hands off except to reposition the bumper or if you have to to hold his mouth so he won't drop it.
    Stay calm, find your still center, do not lose your patience.

He must sit properly, no escapes. No sloppy sits, no holding the bumper crooked, if (when) he does, fix him and say "hold".

Say give for him to give it up or what ever command you want. Praise but don't go crazy about it.

The first holds can be only for a few seconds....if it's a good hold that's a great start.

Really a hold for 5 minutes is no different than a hold of 5 seconds.....just longer.

Keep the sessions short, 5-10 minutes or so.

Never ever from this point forward accept a sloppy hold or for him to spit at your feet.

Never. Not once. If he does, correct him by placing it back in his mouth and when you have him doing it right...IE no sloppy sit, crooked hold etc. Say "hold"

Keep working every day. After a few days he'll be sitting there on the bench holding with no problems. But we're not done, usually anyway.

Next move him back and forth on the bench while holding. You'll probably have to correct him a little more.

Then go to the ground, just sitting and holding, then while heeling, then throwing bumpers from only a few feet away(while he's on the check cord), then longer retrieves, then in water, then frozen birds, then live birds.

Each step might take a little while to work through or maybe not much at all. You will have to teach a little at every step, plan on it.

Boston really struggled when coming out of the water......took a few days there. I actually stood in the water to take away his imaginary barrier.

If he spits coming in, I put the check cord on him, bring him back to the spot. "sit", "Hold", "stay" and then go back to my spot..."here" for the delivery. Never let him get away with spitting one. Not once. You can reinforce with a "hold" command when he's getting close to you if you want.

Stay calm, we're teaching not testing. when he does not do it properly, calmly correct his hold, posture etc. No need to be jabbering a lot and no touching except to correct.

And no fun bumpers until this is fixed..........no retrieving of any kind until he's lined out and never allow a spit or sloppy hold. Once he realizes you won't accept it he'll give up and just do it to get on with the next retrieve.
    [

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Running backwards with my hands out when they were on the way bk heloped me...click and treat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast