Dog Needs Softer Mouth?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Needs Softer Mouth?

Mocha Guest

DefaultDog Needs Softer Mouth?

We went Quail hunting and got a limit, BUT each bird had teeth marks all the way through. Does anyone have any instructions on how to get Maggie to have a softer mouth? She didn't seem to mind to have a mouth full of feathers either. She retrieved every bird. This was her first hunt and she did fantastic. She would have kept on going, but shoot, we had our limit. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Needs Softer Mouth?

As you are in the US I assume she has been forced fetched?

Although we do things differently over here if my dogs were showing signs of being hard mouthed they would right off fresh game and back to dummy work until the problem was sorted.

I think I will leave this to the US folk. Hope you get it fixed.

Mocha Guest

Thank you. We got her when she was already started and I don't know how the original owners started her, but we will go back to training dummies. She is only 1 year old so I believe she is trainable. She has already done very well with us retraining some of her bad habits out of her. What type of dummies would you recommend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mocha Guest

Forgot to say that Yes, I am from the US.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I use canvas training dummies:

I can't really advise you because we do it differently over here. Most US people use force fetching, so if I say "do this" or "do that" it sort of goes against the standard training procedures you use in your country. Hopefully one of the US trainers will see this thread.

Mocha Guest

I talked to a friend of mine last night and he said the same thing. That I need to use a canvas training dummy. I am going to get one today and also he will also give me some advice on how to use the dummy. Sounds like what you are also doing. I will let you know.

My husband practices "hold it" with Bialey. Where he puts the canvas dummy in his mouth and then repeats hold it. They work on this until Bailey can hold it soft witout it dropping out if his mouth. I would also suggest using several different kind of bumpers. Canvas and plastic as well as different sizes. This can also help them learn to hold differently.

Sometimes that happens with smaller birds in the beginning. See what happens on bigger birds.

Bamboo skewers

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I use canvas training dummies:

I can't really advise you because we do it differently over here. Most US people use force fetching, so if I say "do this" or "do that" it sort of goes against the standard training procedures you use in your country. Hopefully one of the US trainers will see this thread.
    Not that I want to jack this thread but I'd be interested to hear how you train. I have read a couple of books on the UK training method and I'd like to apply some of those techniques and I am also interested in hearing more "non-US" advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast