e-collar (Tone Only)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-collar (Tone Only)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Defaulte-collar (Tone Only)

Can anyone recommend an e-collar that only has tone control. I don't need a shock collar any longer and the SportDog 1800 I have is heavy on her neck, and limited tone capability. I would like to find a good light weight tone collar that in combination with the transmitter has good range and battery life.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

captaincool is offline Member

They are a bit expensive (not as expensive as tri-tronics) but I would get a Dogtra collar that has tone, static shock, and pager vibrate. I have heard other trainers poo poo the tone only collars as they say that they promote disobedience. I think that the premise behind this is that when you give your dog a command and you're sure they heard and understand that they should do it. By using the tone you're giving them a chance to disobey with little or no consequence. I don't know how much validity there is to this really, so far my Choco is pretty obedient in the field, but I did have to shock him once when we were at a very large lake and he started swimming to a boat, which was about 3/4 of a kilometer away.

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I understand the viewpoint of the 'other trainers'. I suspect it all depends on what we expect from our dogs.

All I need is something to reminderher, 'Hey! I was talking to you.' She is really pretty good. It is just when she spots a rabbit or deer in the neighborhood that she needs to be reminded what the words Come or Leave It mean. A tone does it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Which dogtra collar are you talking about (I cannot find it on their website) - looks like what I would like to try. I'd like to try. What exactly is the different between static shock, pager and regular shock collar?

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars-6.html

I would want vibration rather than tone, but that's just me. You may not hear a tone in running/lunging water, etc, but they can feel the vibration. Send an email to Steve Snell at gundogsupply.com. He sells more ecollars than everyone else, and can tell you what is out there that might work for you.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I would suggest a vibration and tone. Belle responds to tone only, but I have the stimulation (she has a shock collar) for back up if needed. I would think that they could learn to ignore the tone just as well as your voice. I have a Sportdog, that it's highest level of shock is pretty weak and certaionly no worse than a vibrate setting.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    I would suggest a vibration and tone. Belle responds to tone only, but I have the stimulation (she has a shock collar) for back up if needed. I would think that they could learn to ignore the tone just as well as your voice. I have a Sportdog, that it's highest level of shock is pretty weak and certaionly no worse than a vibrate setting.
    Really? If that is true, I don't think your SportDog is working right. Mine has 8 settings. I used it on myself before I ever put it on HK. I will describe the settings.
    1: Not sure I felt anything
    2: I am pretty sure I felt something, but not close to the static discharge from grabbing a doorknob.
    3: Hey! I felt that. Didn't particularly like it, but it didn't hurt.
    4: Okay, that hurt. It really hurt. HK is never going to feel that.
    5-8: No idea what they feel like. Never going to try it, and HK is never going to feel it.

I am looking for something that is lighter in weight than the SD1800 I currently put on HK. Actually, putting it on is about all I have to do. Occassionally will have to use the tone. That is usually only when a deer or rabbit has caught her attention and she is off before I spot it and tell her to Leave It. I don't even call her then, it would be useless. I let her chase until she is out of sight or I see a hazard of some kind approaching. Then I just hit the tone and she will break off and return. That is really all I use it for.

If your Sportdog on the highest setting is not PROFOUNDLY uncomfortable, something is probably wrong with your unit, or it needs to be recharged. My TT unit goes from 1 to 6, with low medium and high at each level. EM works on a low 4. The output increases exponentially as you go up. I have given myself a high 6, and it would make you yelp. However, I have seen more than one dog who can take that kind of heat. Thank goodness I don't own one!
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 03-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

just so I understand all the options:
    tone: sound only
    Vibration/vibe: no shock going directly to the dog (i guess indirect electricity as it goes thru teh collar to make it vibrate)
    shock: electrical current goes into the dog?
    ETA: ok just read the link! thanks!

Any model recommendations? The distance would not have to be huge, no more than a few acres (not sure how to measure, say a football field). For offleash work. I do not mind paying $300 but anything more than that would have to really be worth it. I hate having to spend this much money and not be able to get my hands on and TRY these things. What if I get the wrong one at $300+shipping? What if I find I don't use it at all?

I am looking at:
    Tri-Tronics Sport Basic http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tron...ort-basic.html
    dogtra 1900 http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-1900ncp.html

thanks for your PM HK's dad !
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-25-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    just so I understand all the options:
    tone: sound only
    Vibration/vibe: no shock going directly to the dog (i guess indirect electricity as it goes thru teh collar to make it vibrate)
    shock: electrical current goes into the dog?
    ETA: ok just read the link! thanks!

Any model recommendations? The distance would not have to be huge, no more than a few acres (not sure how to measure, say a football field). For offleash work. I do not mind paying $300 but anything more than that would have to really be worth it. I hate having to spend this much money and not be able to get my hands on and TRY these things. What if I get the wrong one at $300+shipping? What if I find I don't use it at all?

I am looking at:
    Tri-Tronics Sport Basic http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tron...ort-basic.html
    dogtra 1900 http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-1900ncp.html

thanks for your PM HK's dad !
    For what you are describing, I would get the Dogtra, since it has vibration, and is waterproof. If you are going to train hard, there are really only 2 choices in ecollars, TT and Dogtra. 99.9% of pros and serious Am's use those brands. I have destroyed a Sportdog already in brackish water. With TT or Dogtra, you can always turn around and sell it on the hunting/training boards and not take a beating if you decide to get rid of it.

I am a die hard TT guy, but TT has not done well in the reliability of the non-tube transmitters they introduced to try and be competitive at a lower price point. So, of those 2 choices, I would get the Dogtra you referenced. They are rock solid. Or look at this one:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-280ncp-platinum.html

Remember, if you want a 1/2 mile range, get a 1 mile collar, etc.
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 03-25-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast