Difference between UKC and AKC events?

Thread: Difference between UKC and AKC events?

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultDifference between UKC and AKC events?

Thought I'd break in the forum. Can anyone explain to me the difference between the UKC hunt tests (UH, HR) and the AKC (JH, SH, etc.)? I did a bit of Googling but wasn't able to find a comparison. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Difference between UKC and AKC events?

I have only run AKC, but in UKC you must fire a gun. They have slightly different rules like the JH must deliver to hand but the started don't. Most people view the progression as run the UKC event before the AKC event for each class of dogs. The best thing to do is go watch each one and ask lots of questions.

Mike Bons is offline Senior Member

For us the biggest difference is that you are allowed to talk to your dog when the bird are falling in the HRC. In AKC/CKC hunt test you are not allowed to talk to your dog one you signal ready. I general find the AKC/CKC to be more techinical, both marks and blinds, especially in Senior and Junior when compared to Seasoned and Started.
    My Plan:
    Started (HRC)
    Junior (AKC)
    Seasoned (HRC)
    Senior (AKC)
    Finished (HRC)
    Master (AKC)
    Grand (HRC)/Master National (AKC)

Distances in AKC will be a little longer, but nothing to really worry about.

HRC- train dog to mark off the gun
    AKC- train dog on non-verbal cues - push/pull drills (stepping up/back on the dog to have them rotate with you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Thanks! This is very helpful.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

UKc requires almost head-to-toe camoflage clothing, when you come to the line.
    AKC is quite a bit less strict on this....while it's in the AKC rulebook, most Judges are fine as long as you're wearing beige/dark green/grey/black tones.
    UKC also offers a separate Upland Title for you pheasant hunters out there. this doesn't have divisions of JH, SH, etc, it is a stand-alone, 2-passes-and-you-got-it Title.

Yellardawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by queenofthedogs
    UKc requires almost head-to-toe camoflage clothing, when you come to the line.
    The rules allow judges to do this. But I think that head to toe is more of a regional thing. I usually have worn a pair of jeans and a camo shirt with some type of cap (sometimes camo) and have only been asked once to change the pants (they were very faded)....so, it was in May, I had some camo shorts in the truck, put them on and walked to the line with my white legs showing (probably would've flared more duck or made it easier for the dogs to see me than the jeans would've). MOst UKC judges I know are pretty flexible and laid back, dark pants with a camo shirt and cap will normally be fine.