Not quite sure how to go about this

Thread: Not quite sure how to go about this

bluedog214 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNot quite sure how to go about this

I have heard of labs being used to hunt coons. I know labs aren't typically used to coon hunt but I have a 5 month old black lab, she's very smart and I have been working with her and teaching her to find thing by sniffing them out. I know it will be hard to teach her but I was wondering if anyone here has trained a coon dog, and if so how would I train my dog.

Any tips or training advice would help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would be afraid a coon could really hurt the dog. I don't know much about this type of hunting so perhaps I am way off base. Why not get/use a dog that is specifically used for thus type if hunting?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I imagine in theory you can train any sporting breed to hunt anything - but - coonhounds work at night and far away from the handler usually and the connection to the dog is vocal - you need a dog that can be very vocal when it is on the scent and be very vocal when the coon is treed. Labs used for hunting are not supposed to be vocal (in a duck blind). A noisy retreiver is a bad thing. So - I would think that using a Lab to hunt coon will ruin it as a duck dog.

But I guess you could try.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bluedog214 is offline Junior Member

@BigBrownDog I don't duck hunt so I don't have to worry about her being loud as long as she doesn't bark in the house. She has a very nice deep bark. There aren't even any ducks where I live I've probably seen 2-4 ducks since I moved to NC last July, but there are some HUGE coons here

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Our friend who runs Black and Tans on coons has trained his young dogs by having them run with his experienced dogs. There's really not much training to it since the dog is a good distance away from him and basically doing what comes naturally. He does put a GPS locator collar on his dogs and it has prevented someone from trying to steal a good dog away from him. Do you have friends with coon hounds who could help you out?

Oh, and this friend says, of all the coon hounds he's had only one would stop once the coon was cornered and if it could not tree would not attack it. I think you pretty well have to expect injury, at least scrapes and tears, to your dog if you run coons. From the coon, from barbed wire, sharp sticks, irate land owners. Of course you have permission from land owners to cross their property but if the coon doesn't know those boundaries count on not being able to call the dog off.

gundog is offline Senior Member

Honestly you should get a hound if you want to coon hunt. Your lab will be a disapointing substitute.........as a hound would be as a bird hunting dog.
    [