Anyone ever hunt with an English springer Spaniel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever hunt with an English springer Spaniel?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone ever hunt with an English springer Spaniel?

Me and dad have peeked interest into bird hunting. My dad used to do it but life,kids ect.. got into the way. Now he wants to do it again and I do also(looks like fun and a stress reliever adn time to spend with my dad). I want a dog though I can go hunting with :-) Dad said maybe but that usaully means yes. Before I get into it I am going to do research research more research and then some more,lol. I have been PMing someone here and they have given GREAT advice. I am going to go to the library and get some books and be prepared for ?'s here also(and a lot of them!). I have been researching dogs to use and while I love labs I wanted something a little smaller(with my back and I am ready for something "small"). I was thinking a field bred English Springer Spaniel or a brittany. I have met both but never spent time with them. I have been contemplating a lab(Obviously) but leaning towards an ESS.I know this is a lab forum but are ESS good for "starters"?

P.S.sorry for spelling errors I am on a school computer and there is no spell check.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also I would not add a dog for a year or two. Yes I have thought about college ect.
    The dog wouldn't be "mine" anyway. I have also thought about money/time and so has my dad. Who is still thanking

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

My OH has hunted quite a bit over a friend's ESS and our own girl but our girl was a rescue and came to us at four years old fully trained. The energy level in most field bred ESS makes most bench bred Labs look like they are standing still. ESS are like perpetual motion machines. OH has only hunted over bench bred Labs but not ours, by the time we got ours he'd quit hunting.

We did look into another ESS 6 years ago but ended up with our second Lab. But you could do what we did, look up some breeders, go to some trials. ESS trials are much more like real hunting than our field trials are. Live birds. Meet some enthusiasts and some breeders, see how the dogs work, watch how people handle them. Be sure you are aware of the health concerns. Fucosidosis is one the breed can get that Labs don't. English Springer Spaniel Club

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We had both Springer Spaniels (Joe and Bill) and Brittany Spaniels (Britt and Brittany) when I was a kid. We weren't very original with names . Both breeds were much higher energy and higher drive than any of the labs I've ever had. They were all excellent hunters. I don't remember any specific health issues, but I was a kid (and not the same kind of kid you are; I cuddled the dogs, but wasn't involved in their training or day to day care).

Are you planning on going away to college? Depending on how far you are going, it will make it difficult on your family to train/supervise a high energy hunting dog. I definitely understand wanting to spend time with your dad though. I learned to fish as a teenager to spend time with my dad (even ice fish). Technically, I only went ice fishing once; I stepped in a barely frozen over hole and was soaked to my knee.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

The college I'm going to most of it is online then once I get passed basics I start out in vet office and work from there so I will be home most of pups early years. It is something we have talked about. By the time i get the pup tank will be around 10/11 and Bentley about 5. So there will be a big age gap. I'm also looking at different breeds that fit my needs. So a Lab might make the cut but I want to expand my search :-)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What type of bide hunting are you thinking of?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

So to help.decide a good dog I decided to put in my requirements.

I can do a daily brushing but nothing extreme(poodle)
    Has an off switch...which probably deals with the breeders dog.
    Good for beginners
    On the small side(because of my back and I'm ready for something smaller) I'm thinking nothing more than 60lbs.
    Can do okay around small dogs.
    Can handle little kids(baby sit during summer on my days off)

I know I basically just said lab but as I said maybe on the smaller side. I can do a brushing for a Brittany and an ess or maybe wss(little bit calmer then ess).

P.s. pheasant hunting right now not sure what else. I'm sure me and dad will talk more this weekend.

Dad used to do pheasent hunting so that is a fact we would get into that.

If you do mainly upland hunting and you don't want a labrador(who can be excellent upland dogs) then I'd go with a springer spaniel or german short haired pointer.

I am sold on labs for hunting though because IMO aside from maybe a Chessie they are the best water dogs out there and they can do upland as well. Some GSP's do well in water but it is hit and miss. Some Labradors can point and there are now even some breeders breeding for that pointing instinct.

I've been upland hunting for most of my life, mostly quail, and dogs in my opinion are the best thing about the sport! Hunter my last lab loved it more then I did, he was crazy happy when I just started to touch the hunting stuff. You can get some smaller female labs that are not as big as some of the males can get and as long as you find a good field breeder that breeds for temperment they could definitely match you with a pup that has an off switch.

If you've never hunted over a dog before I'd suggest doing so, so you can get a feel of what type of dog you want. There is a big difference between the pointers and the flushers and some hunters prefer one over the other. The field events are also a great place to watch some dogs working so you can get feel for what you want.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

Brandy and Me is offline Junior Member

DefaultYes

Yes I hunt both upland and waterfowl with my field bred springer Brandy.

Sorry about the multiple post I cleaned them up.
    Last edited by Brandy and Me; 07-11-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    UH HR Brandywine Sue (Brandy) MH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast