I Dont Want To End Up With A Gun Shy Dog!

Thread: I Dont Want To End Up With A Gun Shy Dog!

Tanner/Kasey is offline Junior Member

DefaultI Dont Want To End Up With A Gun Shy Dog!

I need some other ideas for increasing louder noises to train my pup not to be gun shy. I live in a neighborhood (unfortunately) and it is typically frowned upon if I start shooting 22’s and shotguns in the back yard. I am currently using a drug store cap gun. I randomly fire it in the house all the time (my wife and kids think I am crazy) and Tanner is now use to it. I can fire it right next to him when he is sleeping and he doesn’t even flinch. Either my dog is deaf or he is ready for something a little louder.

I have family and friends that have property a couple of hours away but it is hard to go on a regular basis. Granted I think he needs to be a little more birdy before introduce a real gun, I am just trying to do my due diligence not to end up with a gun shy dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Personally, I wouldn't fire the cap gun next to him, especially when he is sleeping. We took our labs to events where there was guns going off, but we kept them at a distance & we made sure we had treats & fun things they were doing when the guns were going off. We used a blank pistol at a distance & as time went on we would get closer. We wanted to have them associate gun fire with good things. As they got older, gunfire meant they were going to retrieve a bird/duck, something. Just don't start too close.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Good advice there. I started off with a cap gun at a distance, and gradually got closer. Then moved up to a .410 shotgun, slowly decreasing the distance over time, and eventually a 12 ga. shotgun, the same way. I tried to stay away from using a .22, due to the high pitched "crack" of a supersonic round. Just take your time and don't rush it.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You can do a lot w/in the confines of your house. I bang 2x4's together as young litters are eating. Run the Dyson regularly. I take my 6-7 wk olds to the gun club (only 1 mile down the road), etc.. You can bang pots and pans, whatever. It really isn't rocket science, it's all about NOISE!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Tanner/Kasey is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for the advice!

Martinmac is offline Junior Member

I have my two year son around our pup ,that's more than enough noise !!!

cmndrJOE is offline Member

My uncle has trained all his gun dogs for as long as I can remember. I too want to train my Bear to be my hunting buddy. His suggestion was to drive up to the range and park far away, close enough to hear the report, but far enough away to just hear it in the background. He plays fetch or other games with the pup, and makes it a fun time. The next time he parks a little closer, and closer, and closer, ect ect. Always playing, mainly fetch, so the dog associates the gunshots with fetch. He eventually gets close enough to the range where the dog doesn't mind at all while people shoot near/over him. While he is home, he makes loud noises while holding the pup's attention. Banging or dropping pots and pans, mowong the yard, anything else of that nature. If you have a trap and skeet range nearby, it can double as dog training, and trigger time for you.

Martinmac is offline Junior Member

Yup lots of noise! I also live in suburbia so i clapped alot when hes nit looking then the planks of wood also did a good job. I then took my 7 mth lab out last weekend for his first trial with the gun to a mates farm. Played with him hlots to get him in the mood and had my mate stand a way back with the shotgun to let off a few rounds as I played fetch with Beau. He didn't even blink an eye! Have him lots if praise and comfort with treats added to the mix. I then gradually brought him closer to the gun still plying fetch with his favourite stuffed duck! After all this he was soon retrieving his duck whilst we acted out a shooting scenario ! Well chuffed with him. Good feeling as our season is here in a few weeks time! Can't wait to get him onto live birds. Little bits at a time is the key! Good luck!
    Last edited by Martinmac; 04-17-2013 at 09:07 AM.