New to Gun Dogging!

Thread: New to Gun Dogging!

Tanner/Kasey is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew to Gun Dogging!

I am new to the gun dog world. I have a 4 month old yellow lab (Tanner) that I work with every chance I get. He is doing well with sit, heal and come. We are still working on stay but I think with a little more work he will get it.

As far as retrieving goes he does not seem to show much interest? Right now since he is so young I am still trying to make it fun for him and not worry so much on his form and what he is doing wrong. When I throw the bumper, ball or stuffed animal he doesn’t even go after it or when he does he doesn’t bring it back to me even when I tell him to come?

Could it be because he is still young? I think he has good prey drive? You should see him chase mosquito hawks! Now if I toss a duck wing he is all over it but of course will not bring it back but at least it is some action out of him. Like I said I am a newbie so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Around 4 months they start teething so a many will stop retrieving entirely.

Most puppies struggle with bring things back. If he is chasing then at least he is halfway there. Use a hallway to funnel the pup back to you.

Commanding the dog to come back is not the best approach because you need to be able to enforce that command and you don't want to interrupt retrieving for that. You can use a check cord to reel them back in until the here command is solid. But if your pup is not returning at all I'd stay in the hallway until you get him coming back regularly and gradually increase distance and then move back out you the yard.

If he is not chasing tease him with it. Maybe toss it 5 feet or less at first. make it a big game. Good luck!
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

Tanner/Kasey is offline Junior Member

Thanks I will keep at it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bat123 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner/Kasey View Post
    I am new to the gun dog world. I have a 4 month old yellow lab (Tanner) that I work with every chance I get. He is doing well with sit, heal and come. We are still working on stay but I think with a little more work he will get it.

As far as retrieving goes he does not seem to show much interest? Right now since he is so young I am still trying to make it fun for him and not worry so much on his form and what he is doing wrong. When I throw the bumper, ball or stuffed animal he doesn’t even go after it or when he does he doesn’t bring it back to me even when I tell him to come?
    Could it be because he is still young? I think he has good prey drive? You should see him chase mosquito hawks! Now if I toss a duck wing he is all over it but of course will not bring it back but at least it is some action out of him. Like I said I am a newbie so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    The best results I got from all of my pups was with a plastic pill bottle with a few kernals of corn then wrapped in a sock and as awackywabbit mentioned in a hall.
    My pups always went ape when I started rattling the bottle. Good luck!