Puppy question

Thread: Puppy question

dartonvpr is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy question

Been a few years since I had a new puppy to train. Something came up today that made me ask a few questions. First, is it a bad thing to allow the puppy to run after small birds when she is out hiking with me? She wants to chase every bird she sees. Second, will it be a problem if she picks u[ duck or goose wings and chew on the right now. She is almost 4 months oln

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gundog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dartonvpr View Post
    Been a few years since I had a new puppy to train. Something came up today that made me ask a few questions. First, is it a bad thing to allow the puppy to run after small birds when she is out hiking with me? She wants to chase every bird she sees. Second, will it be a problem if she picks u[ duck or goose wings and chew on the right now. She is almost 4 months oln
    Yes and no.

Yes let her chase........but you are getting close to the time for obedience.....6 months or so depending on the dog. You should be working on influence handling while on walks. Now is ther time to get her into all types of terrain, exploring brooks, mud, hills, swimming if she is ready. Bring a bumper with you and play hide the bumper. All fun.....the teaching is all disguised as fun right now. It's a fun time to have a pup.

No.....Chewing on wings does you no good........she can play with them a little but that's it.
    Last edited by gundog; 02-15-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    [

dartonvpr is offline Junior Member

Thanks gundog, We are actually doing very well on obedience. She seems to pick up on basic commands very well. Other than the puppy chewing, she's very alert about everything around her. I live right on the Multnomah channel and let her down by the water daily. She is just beginning to get interested in the water and has been in it once. But for the most part she not sure about it. I don't push and let her explore it on her own. We live in an area where a lot of cripples end up and the hawks eat well. Wings are found on almost every hike, so was concerned if this would be a problem. To me it should be a good thing if she is sniffing these out and finding them on her own and bring them back. I normally take them so she doesn't chew.
    By the questions we pose, ourselves we deceive.... So limited in thought by what we choose to perceive.....