how do i get my 10mo lab to listen to me in a busy place?

Thread: how do i get my 10mo lab to listen to me in a busy place?

CountryPrincessxoxo is offline Junior Member

Defaulthow do i get my 10mo lab to listen to me in a busy place?

we go to the dog park alot and he is having a terrible time with WANTING to listen. he does good in the house and when hes all tuckered out from playing, but when hes in an open field or sees someone or something he wants, hes off in a heart beat and hell turn and look at me when i yell no but turns right back and takes off. He listens when he wants to, but i need him to listen all the time not just when he feels like it. any suggestions?? i would get a shock collar so he can learn from the beeps or a little shock to understand not to do that, but they are expensiveeee and i heard you cant use a collar from one dog onto another?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Obedience class, or a session or two with a private trainer.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris View Post
    Obedience class, or a session or two with a private trainer.
    x10

also, training is done in phases. the first one is what you describe - in the house or yard where it is quiet. But it is important to slowly add distractions and train the dog in slowly increasing distractions (but the dog park is too high a distraction, you have to work up to that). we often make the mistake of thinking if the dog learns a command they will apply it in all situations - they don't. a sit in the house is not at all the same as a sit in the dog park.

work with a long line and never ever use your recall word if you know he will take off (this way he is just learning that it is option to listen or not). more importantly - the above recommendation for obedience classes.

A shock collar may not even work in this case as the puppy doesn't know that "come" means come even at the park or when running after something. So he won't put the beep or shock to the command - he may not even HEAR you - if his is focused on the other dog or whatnot he may not even realize you are calling him.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky