Fall bird season

Thread: Fall bird season

Dmac is offline Junior Member

DefaultFall bird season

I've been taking advantage of this cool Nor Cal weather (mid 70's) to put in lots of work with the dog, retrieving, swimming and running the hills at the cabin in preparation for the coming fall upland season. His weight is already spot on at a lean 74 lbs, so I increased his feed slighly and adjusted his protien upward a tick. Cash is ready to rumble, now I am wondering if I started just a bit too early : ( Oh well, we're having fun and he's down and out by 9 o'clock and it's nice to have an hour or two to get things done.

Cash's first quail hunt at 9 months old

First mixed bag of chukar and pheasant at 10 months

This was his very first rooster, he loves them ditch chickens

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Sweet! I love chukkar, but I hate climbing mountains to kill 'em!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Dmac is offline Junior Member

Ha ha climbing can be a real pain, especially in loose rock. Most of last years chukar came from birds I raised in flight pens, while they provide good training for the dog they are not true wild birds. I release birds on my property usually in groups of 7-14, I leave them alone for a few days and then we go out and hunt em up. This year we'll be doing 3 wild chukar hunts in Nevada, a trip to the "Breaks" in Idaho for pheasant and hungarians, and then to South Dakota for a pheasant pilgrimage. Looks like I posted the wrong pic above, it should've been this one

I spent the better part of last year buiolding my pups confidence, about 70% of our hunting was over birds I raised (pheasant and chukar) the rest chasing wild pheasant and quail. This year will be 50/50. I have backed off the number of pheasant and chukar I am raising, just 125-150 of each (I sell a good portion) in the next few years I hope to just raise enough for early season training and cut back on the time taking care of them.