Been having fun in the field

Thread: Been having fun in the field

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBeen having fun in the field

Hi everyone! Well, we've been busy working on our "field stuff" when not doing agility. Even if that field stuff is just practicing our obedience skills.

I volunteered at a Senior Test last Sunday. I was the "bird boy" and took the birds from the judge and bagged them. I can see where the obedience skills we practiced so diligently to earn those obed titles are used in the field. I saw "healing, sit, stay, recall, go out, directed jump, retrieve (duh) all used. It was definitely fun to watch.

I also have Miles carrying his duck around. It is frozen, but it IS a duck. Last week, I met a friend out at the training grounds and We practiced all the junior skills and he did them well, including retrieving a duck on land and on water. He does need to build more confidence holding and carrying a duck. It is just a new and weird feeling for him. Last week, our second time around doing water, he didn't seem to want to carry the bird out of the water. Waterlogged ducks are heavy and hard to hold. These ducks were pretty spent. I insisted he bring it and deliver to hand. He then happily carried it to the car. I think it is just something to work through.

Anyway, going to go out and watch a junior test today. Watch and learn!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Way to GO Ann and Miles! Eat the elephant in little bitty bites on the hand delivery. Senior is like a box of chocolates. You might get a "junior double" or you might get "master minus a bird." Having to run a cross-wind blind tight to the outside and behind the flyer station with the wind blowing off the crate of ducks is the new "test de jour" around here these days. If you can work in Master at the next test, then you would see the entire range of hunt test dogs (minus the Master National or the HRC Grand). Keep working and having fun, we are proud of you guys!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Awww, thanks it IS fun. Today, I sort of "toured" the hunt test. I watched Master for about one dog doing the water. Then I went to junior and that was at a completely different location. I was able to be there for the briefing and to see the test dog go. (for the land portion) I didn't stick around too long because, the way they had it set up, spectators really couldn't see anything.

Then I went back and watched Senior for awhile, but there I got to talking with Jim Price, who is also a judge and he was a wealth of information. Very nice guy. Spotted the newcomer and immediately introduced himself and explained what the handlers were doing and talked about things you might see. Told me how he trains marks. Good conversation. Then we had a situation where the handler sent the dog on the blind. Dog went ot where it was supposed to be, but uh, the kid forgot to put one there. They tried having him put one there after the dog had left, but the dog wouldn't go back to that spot. He'd already been there and "knew" there was no duck. The dog finally was called back with no bird but the judge explained to the crowd, he's not going to fault the dog. The dog had gone where the bird was supposed to be. I thought that was fair and I liked that he explained what he was doing to the group there and why he was doing it. It was interesting, I am learning.

I also saw Bob Reckart today. I know someone on here knows of him and probably knows he was ill a few years ago. He was out there today. In a power chair but all smiles and just very nice and friendly. The smile just never left his face.

Anyway, I am looking forward to joining in. Now my dog has a slight limp so we have to figure that out and let that heal before we do anything.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are hooked ...... way to go!! I've' got to step our training to get ready for JH tests this fall for Bo. I'll be doing a training day with Janice Gunn in NC next month (along with 2 days of obedience seminar).
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

georgie is offline Senior Member

It doesn't take long to get hooked, does it? Sounds like both of you are learning. Little steps....it will come. It is great that you are going & watching. Watching other dogs run helps alot. Having a training group is the best thing. We met Bob at several tests, in fact we were talking to him at a test a few weeks before his accident. Our breeder knows him & she saw him at a test recently. Like you said...he was all smiles. Good luck to you & Miles.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Here is a link to the Water series I judged on Saturday. YouTube - ‪RETRIEVER TRAINING - AKC SENIOR HUNT TEST‬‏ We did water first and it included Diversion shot , 80 yard blind, two 80 yard retrieves (1st dead duck out of a winger landing just behind dike, 2nd live shot flyer landing in water). Land series followed with a walk up live shot flyer on a hillside and a dead duck winged to the base of a hill in cover, followed with a 90 yard land blind.
    On Sunday in junior we had the 2 typical land marks (one dead duck out of a winger and then a live shot flyer) on water for junior we had two dead ducks one thrown and one outn of a winger. at the line for water we had the people sitting on a bucket on the end of a finger/point of land. They could stand after bird was down and send dog or just send from the sitting position. A couple of dogs were not sure about going with the handler sitting next to them. Dedcoys were not a problem for the dogs we ran all weekend.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

The video keeps locking up on me at the start of the marks. Just curious, did that dog pass the water blind? It was hard to determine from the camera angle. Looked like a fun test from what I could see!
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 06-23-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

The dog was in trouble after the water blind, As I recall it had 2 or 3 cast refusals and at least on whistle refusal. What you can't see on the video is the decoys that were out and sucked a lot of dogs over to that side. I think the score for trainability was down in the 1-3 range Had this been master I think he would have been a 0 in trainability.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    Chino Ca

It looked like the handler was having some trouble getting the dog off whatever was off screen to the left. But its hard to tell when you don't know the end point of the blind. He should have thrown the big "over" as his first cast. Ax me how I learned that one.....
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

Yep that is about right..I also think he sent his dog without his wistle in his mouth. About the 2nd or 3rd cast the handler stopped and sweated the dog for a bit before giving the next cast and the dog responded with a change of direction a good change of direction. What you don't see well on the video is the blind with a person in it about 5 yards to the right of the handler that the diversion shot comes from while the dog is heeling up, this is also where the bull dog is thrown from on the way back from the blind. To the left is running water with some grasss and really bright decoys sitting out and to the left on the dike the blind is planted on is the winger station (40 yards from the planted blind) with some decoys about 1/2 way between the planted blind and the winger station. The shot and all the things to look at created suction everywhere but where the blind was planted. This was by far thehardestr blind I have ever judged in senior and the hardest I have run in seniors. It was pretty close to a master type blind and we had to take that into account. The wind was blowing from left to right

Kelly
    Chino Ca