16 month old yellow lab

Thread: 16 month old yellow lab

huntinglab is offline Junior Member

Unhappy16 month old yellow lab

I have a 16 month old lab that i would like to train for ducks any advice? I have never trained for this before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would repost with a different title, Training for Duck hunting question. Or something like that. We have several hunters on the forum and I am sure you would get some help. Also may help to post it on the Lab Chat Forum which gets a lot more traffic.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Probably the most useed methodis using Evan Grahams Smart Work Series. It is comprehensive and easy to follow. You can buy the Smart Fetch Book and Smartwork book, but if you have not done it before then you really also need the videos.
    Another option and probably better or in conjuntion with the above would be to join your local retriever club and start training with them or find a mentor thru them. You can also go to local events, hunt tests, field trials, etc..and talk to the people there and find a group to train with. It is easier to train some of the skills if you have 2-5 people in your training group.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Definitely look to see if there is a retriever group near you. Beware-- some interesting, long friendships have been known to form thru such training groups! I had a call yesterday from a guy that I bet was in our regional group 10+ yrs ago-- his dog is 13 now and he had moved from the area but returned and is looking for a pup. It was nice that he had the contacts still!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

You CAN do it! As suggested, I would get Smartworks Vol 1 book, and the Smartfetch book and DVD, and any of Evan's other DVD's that seem to be helpful. Also, join your local AKC or UKC (or NAHRA if there is one around) club. There WILL be an AKC or UKC club somewhere near you. Having a group of folks that have "been there, done that" is invaluable when the wheels come off. ALL of us have had the wheels come off at one point or another.

Edit: It looks like you are in Canada, so you may not have UKC/AKC groups, but I bet there is a CanCK group nearby for either HT or FT. They will be glad to help you out with advice.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg