Shock collar

Thread: Shock collar

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

DefaultShock collar

My hubby just bought a shock collar for our puppy who will go out next month to hunt. He got the one with the tone first then the shock. I want to know what all of you think about this? We have never used one on our Labradors or the other Setters. He is very patient with her and I don't understand this concept....

Timber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If he has read the information about how to train the dog to the collar, if he has professional help on how to use the collar, if he does not think that the collar will teach everything and make his training task easy, maybe.

You can not teach a dog with a shock collar. The dog has to know the commands first. Then the collar can be an effective reinforcer, if you know how to use it.

Independent of everything I just said. I personally believe the first thing that should be done with such a collar, is for the trainer to hold it in his/her hand, probes in contact with the trainers skin. Then, at the lowest setting, the trainer should push the button to feel what the dog will feel. Then increase it one step at a time, again feeling what the dog will feel. I suspect the trainer will very quickly limit the setting the dog will ever feel, and use the shock feature very seldom. These are not toys.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The incorrect use of an e-collar can ruin a dog.

The person using it needs to know the fundamentals of learning principles as well as how to properly introduce the use of the e-collar to the dog and how to effectively use the controls on that brand e-collar.

I HIGHLY recommend your husband read books &/or view videos on how to correctly use one. Google Dobbs training or search in Amazon books. Inquire of w w w.gundogsupply.com what training books/videos they recommend.

Anyone using an e-collar without undergoing the proper advanced training is going to ruin their dog.

E-collars have no more brains and convey no more intelligence than a loaded pistol does to the person holding one or a car does to the person driving it.

Get the proper training before using one.

\
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I found an interesting youtube video on the topic of corrective collars. It specifically mentions prong and choke collars, but I think it applies to shock collars. The guy on the video opinion was that you have to be careful on how you use the collar. They can easily be used wrong.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

An ecollar is a tool. Like a 1/2 long check cord or newspaper. It should not be scary, for either the handler or the dog. HOWEVER, you CANNOT just slap one on a dog and start hitting the button. That is a recipe for a meltdown. The first thing the dog needs is solid OB. Unless the OB is reliable, an e-collar is going to be of little use, and probably a source of panic and confusion. Then the dog has to be collar conditioned. This is a multiple day process which cannot be started without solid OB. Your husband needs to get a copy of Mike Lardy's "Total E-collar conditioning" DVD. It sets forth the process of e-collar conditioning in great detail. Always work on the lowest setting that generates compliance. The kids in my neighborhood are forever taking my dog's ecollar and "tingling" themselves. It need not, and should not, be painfull to the dog, just uncomfortable. What the dog feels is what you feel when you walk across a carpet in wool socks and touch a doorknob, or less, if you have done it right.

Properly used, as part of a program, the ecollar is about the most humane, efficient tool to enforce known commands at serious distance ever created. However, it is not a remote control. It takes groundwork, and an even temper to use one humanely and effectively. E collars do not ruin dogs. Ignorant or mean people WITH ecollars ruin dogs, just like ignorant or mean people ruin them WITHOUT ecollars.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

An e-collar is a tool it can be used to craft the most wonderfully behaved dog you have ever seen, if you don't know how to use it you can ruin the best of dogs. One of the things that one should know is attrition in dog training and indirect pressure. Both of these training concepts work great with an E-collar along with direct pressure. Knowing how to read a dogs reaction is key in any training but very useful for knowing how much pressure to use. Patience Patience Patience
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Makes me bristle when people still call them SHOCK collars. It gives the ecollar and their responsible trainers a bad rap. Please don't use it if you don't have anyone to help you with it.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

georgie is offline Senior Member

We use the e-collar as a reinforcement tool once we have trained our dogs. There are many things to learn before strapping an e-collar on a dog. Oh & I have tested our collar at different settings to see what it feels like. I just held it on the inner part of my wrist to see what it felt like. Mike Lardy's DVD on this subject is good.

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

Thank You HersheyK's Dad, Bob PR, Slackercodemonkey, Gulf Coast, Amber the Duck Dawg, Windy Canyon and Georgie. This has helped me a lot and I have sent the information on to Rick.