Last hunt test of the year

Thread: Last hunt test of the year

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

CoolLast hunt test of the year

The weather was horrible-- more like W. WA (cold and rain!), but with the E. WA winds. But Kiku and Envy didn't mind. They came home w/ 2 more orange rosettes from a meaty little AKC JH test out in the desert--- this for their 3rd hunt test qualifications. They pinned every mark despite having to clear some heavy sage brush cover and work the hilly terrain in the morning. The afternoon water series started w/ a live shot flyer off to our right, into the winds which had created quite a lot of wake to work against. The last mark was a pop and throw on water--- an "in" throw (rarely seen at JH). The popper gun malfunctioned for Kiku's mark, but it didn't matter, she nailed it.

Kiku drew #1 again, and this time had to run as 1st dog both morning and afternoon (despite me being the marshal), so it was nice that she did an excellent job-- esp since everyone was watching! We'll have to wait til spring to finish up the last qualification needed for both of their JH's but that's okay... hope to have Envy ready for Seniors by then too.

Envy's sister Teyla also earned her first Q at JH (she was #2 draw). And Sonya's sister, Rion, earned her 4th Master pass! Woohoo! They need 5 for MH title so it'll be next spring for them too.

Back to obedience trials for us in <2 wks. We'll see if Kiku can stay out of season a bit longer (17 mos and hasn't been in yet) but Auntie Mata just came in on Monday and a bunch of girls were "scratched" at the hunt test this weekend due to hormones, so it's definitely in the air! Anne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! Its great when they smack the marks! Right now its still so hot down here I am afraid to throw any big marks in a test. I judged last weekend and it hit 100 degrees. Too hot to test dogs. I don't ever remember it being this hot this close to October.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    Congratulations! Its great when they smack the marks! Right now its still so hot down here I am afraid to throw any big marks in a test. I judged last weekend and it hit 100 degrees. Too hot to test dogs. I don't ever remember it being this hot this close to October.
    That's how the first test was that I ran these 2 in (mid aug). The marks were so short I was really sweating it w/ Envy who likes to "stretch her legs", lol.
    The year has been so odd here weather wise I just don't know what to expect for October! I still have hay to get cut/baled but it's been so rainy... I need my training field back to work on handling for SH! We only get ~7-8 inches of precip here annually yet in the past 3 days I had 0.7 inch here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I miss the big rolling hayfields in North MS. Still nostalgic for square bales of hay instead of the big round ones!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

All the huge fields on my way out to the test yesterday seemed to have their hay down --- and getting rained on. That just makes me cry, esp since our first cutting was a wet one too. Lots of feeder hay this year, and not near enough horsey hay....

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congratulations Anne. Isn't it great to end the year on a good note? Our summer has been weird too, so hot & humid, we really worried about the dogs. But on the good side, Abby is on her way to Manitoba for duck hunting and if the truth be told, I know she lives for that.