newb

Thread: newb

Buckshot is offline Junior Member

Defaultnewb

well new to labs but not working dogs. I got a question my pup is 4months old knows sit,come,and heel pretty solid. So as you know Dove season is in full blast down in Texas. Now his retrieve does need some working on. But my question is I shot a bird and let him play with (chew on it) is that a bad thing. My thinking was it would help build his interest in birds. Hes played with wings and chased live birds he is birdy. I dont know just new with bird dogs is all I thought it just might help build his confidence of having a bird in his mouth. I have froze it for later training. His problem with retrieving is he will retrieve but drop when you recall him now thats at home training. Second at the field he could care less bout gunshots and I walk him out there to fetch and recall him back to our location. I am lost in how to make the transition of reality vs. home training. Am i screwing this dog up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

You are not screwing him up, but you need to get on a sequential program if you want to train a hunting dog and not spend the rest of both your lives patching "holes" in the training. Get Evan Grahams Gundog Essentials DVD, or his Smartwork program, or Chris Akin's "Duck Dog Basics" DVD, or Stawski's "Fowl Dogs 1 - 3" DVDs for a start.

Where are you located? The VERY best thing that you can do is get with your local HRC or AKC or NARA club. My HRC club just did a young dog training day last Saturday and took 5 dogs from "never had a bird" through bird introduction, first shot flyers, and had them picking up singles off multiple guns and happy as clams by the end of the day. They were all retrieving bumpers prior to bird introduction, but not delivering to hand. Many clubs put on similar training days this time of year.

Post up or send a PM where you are located and I might could help you find a club near you.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I pm'd you the site of the HRC club in your town. They are having a test in a couple weeks. Go watch and enjoy!

Mark
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg